Thread: 2020 Oil Change thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts

2020 Oil Change thread

Spring is underway - a fine time for a Mirage owner's thoughts to turn to oil changes. Tell us how you are approaching your oil changes this time around. With Covid-19 upon us (and the social distancing response,) I suspect there will be some changes in how folks will go about caring for their Mirage, and we may have a bit more time to discuss it than usual.

I have been using Mobil-1 full synthetic oils and their M1-110A filters. While I have no problem with how they perform, I am tired of the Mobil-1 rebate game. Too bad Mobil doesn't just give straightforward pricing. And they have developed a great variety of products to choose from too.

From research and discussion here on the forum, I am looking at more cost-effective alternatives. Right now I'm looking at Costco's Kirkland Signature 0W-20 full synthetic by Warren Distribution. Warren Distribution makes not only Kirkland full synthetic, but Walmart's Super Tech and Amazon Basics among others.)

I'm also looking at Champ Labs PH2867XL oil filters for synthetic oils. Champ makes filters for many large and well-known private labels. Rock Auto has these synthetic filters for our cars currently priced at $3.27 each - not too shabby for a filter along the lines of the Mobil-1 M1-110A, which is made by Champ (was! see note below.) Are there any differences between the two? Here is a Champ Synthetic filter line flyer that explains the product line (also attached to this post in case the flyer ever changes or is otherwise unavailable.)

I understand that the products from Warren Distribution and Champ Labs are made in the U.S. if that means anything to anyone.

So how are you going to approach it this year? What will you use? Where are the deals? Are you deferring any maintenance? What's your favorite viscosity? Share your thoughts here.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone's up to.

Edit: Looks like Mobil went with MANN+HUMMEL for their filters this year. Last year the Mobil-1 warranty statement identified Champion Labs as providing coverage. How about that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-26-2020 at 02:47 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-29-2020)