Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
Wow, that's in nice shape. I had a 1990 just like that one. Not nearly as nice being an old forestry quad. Was missing the plastic cover for the kick start. I recovered the seat and painted the racks, brought it on a few trips for others to use then sold it for $500 more than I paid.
I've been using a 1985 Honda Fourtrax 250 2WD for snow plowing for the past 17 years. So a 1996 300 4WD is an upgrade for me. I've been sort of watching for an older machine that didn't look to beat up. The Fourtrax 300 were made for 12 years (1988-2000). Thus, many are still around. I sort of like the smaller machines, because they are easier to maneuver around buildings. 1st gear in these machines can push a lot of snow. They are not fast, but super dependable. My trails are are really rough. Speed is not important to me. I take care of 105 acres of trails (72 acres mine & 33 acres of my neighbor). I cut firewood, avid deer hunter, etc.... I will get a lot of use out of this machine. I haven't decided to part with my old one yet, either.

The original owner of my new machine was an older lady that kept it at her cabin in northern Wisconsin. The guy I bought it from had a cabin next her. He was around when she bought it new. According to him, she used it for trail riding. Then people starting using golf carts, & it didn't get used much. He bought it from her kids when she passed away. He's a crop farmer in southern Wisconsin, & he decided he rather have a UTV to go from farm to farm. Thus, he never used it. I tend to believe him, because it was never registered by him & it is in good shape. He had recovered the seat & replaced the tires, however. Battery was dead, but these machines are easy to kick start. I replaced the battery & replaced all the fluids (engine oil, transfer case, & front/rear differentials) last week. I had a Warn winch added this week. I bought Koplin High Rise push tubes that will accept my old Cycle Country snow blade, & a mount made specifically for this machine. Koplin bought out Cycle Country. Thus, they have some items that will work with older stuff made by Cycle Country. I put everything together yesterday, & it went well. Removing the plow involves pulling two pins and unhooking the winch hook. I am really going to like the High Rise tubes. Once the tubes hit the bottom of the machine, the front part of them pivot the blade up even higher. I can lift the blade quite high. That will help pushing snow piles back, loading on a trailer, etc... I snow plowed all the way to a deer stand in December years ago & helped someone shoot a nice buck the next day during a holiday hunt from that spot. This plow will do something like that easier!

I used a manual lift for my previous set up, but I may sell that set up to a friend who has an older 1986 Honda Fourtrax 250 like my 1985 Honda. I had two Honda 250s at one time, but I sold him the one he has when I bought my Mule in 2006.

Using an ATV snow plow is perfect for where I live. My property is pretty rugged (gullies, ridges, springs, & small streams. I will appreciate having the added 4WD of this machine on my trails. New Honda ATVs are $5,000-9,000 these days. This machine is just a fraction of that, & it will serve me well. My 1985 Honda is 35 years old. In the 18 years that I have owned it, I've had to rebuild the starter. Even then, I kick started it for a year or two before I got that done. That's pretty much it besides oil changes, spark plugs, & new batteries.

I apologize being off topic on this thread, but we tend to do that at times here!