I realize this has been discussed before. But I want to approach this from a little different standpoint. Not necessarily on the specifications (size, weight, mpg, etc).

I want to discuss this based on … which shape am I going to be happier with long term? I'll be honest, I'm a 4 door sedan kind of guy. I'm also going to say, I have 7 cars now, 3 motorcycles, an ATV, and a golf cart that I paid more for than I will a Mirage! Ha! So, I'm not buying a Mirage *just* because they're inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap). Don't get me wrong, my fleet is not a bunch of expensive vehicles.

You guys should appreciate my reasoning behind my interest in the Mirage. I have big time respect for the Mirage for one simple reason. It was purpose built. Purpose built for what? It was purpose built to be INEXPENSIVE! I have a very nice Lexus LS 460L (that I procured used at a steal of a deal). It is a bad ass car, with low miles. But every time I drive it, I feel guilty. I don't need such a nice car, and I feel guilty slamming miles on it (which is part of the reason it has such low miles). The best thing about the car is the Mark Levinson sound system and its (either 19 or) 17 speakers. The sound system is incredible.

But I still want a Mirage to blow a gozillion miles on. I would never feel guilty cranking it and poking around in it.

So, back to the shape. I've always been a sedan guy. I don't prefer SUVs, crossovers, etc. Just sedans. However, I do like the looks of a hatchback. And for a short time I had a hatchback provided to me from my employer. And I liked it.

I like the fact that the hatch is a grand less expensive. And for a purpose built car, built to be inexpensive, it seems appropriate to go for the least expensive one.

The question is: Am I ever going to be put in a situation where the hatchback will be less useful than a sedan? For example, I could load up my 3 sons and their luggage in the sedan and take a decent length trip. Without too much complaint. If I try that in the hatch, not only will all our luggage not fit, but they will loose what, 3 inches of leg room.

I'm torn. I am leaning toward the hatchback. It is 4 doors and a more interesting shape than the sedan. Either way I will be running the ES for the 5MT. No CVT turd for me.