Thread: Mirage MSRP too expensive? Complaint!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage MSRP too expensive? Complaint!

Do you think a sticker price of $16k is taking away what attracted you to the mirage in the first place?

For me it did. And not by just a little, but by well over 60%!
    Won't take long before they follow the example of the Spark, the Versa, or other, where marketing people determine what people want is what actually no one wants, and jack up the price for every stupid addition they add to the car.
    Sometimes, a new model introduces a new color, while charging the model $500 more, regardless of color option.

Personally, I liked the Spark when it just came out with a $9,7k sticker price.
    The next year, it surpassed $10k. I didn't have the money for it. But then it quickly shot to $13k a year later, and wasn't worth it for me anymore.
    And when they swapped the engine from a 1.2l DI, to a 1.4l port injected, and bumped the price by another few thousand dollars, it was far from being considered as a car I'd purchase.

Same with the mirage.

The <2015 models of the mirage looked like crap, but was priced right.
    If they only released the 2017 model for that price!
    The newer model facelift was a welcome addition, and made it possible for people to actually consider the car purchasable.
    While the new facelift certainly does require more money, it's really not that much. The overall production cost of the vehicle remains the same. Just some retooling, for different injection molds.

It's not that they now include a turboed version for this price...

I find that there's nothing that justifies the mirage's max price for even a buck over $12k (and that's for the full option!).
    The base model should go for under $10k in my opinion.

If they add $1k above that price, they should include following items if they want to be marketable:
    Northern sold models should come standard with darker colors in and out, an engine block heater all weather carpet set, and a winter tire set;
    while southern models should come standard with lighter colors, (better) AC and tinted windows, and a slightly larger radiator.

But at nearly $7k above this price, this car is hugely overpriced, terribly underwhelming, and if we look at the market, following similar cars, it won't take long before Mitsubishi will have to discontinue the car soon!

It outgrew the toy it was, but isn't yet the adult vehicle it aims to be.

I think people who want an economy vehicle, a cheap vehicle to go from A to B, want it cheap.
    And people who want luxury, will pay for luxury.
    The mirage being in a market somewhere in between, being overwhelmingly beaten by most other cars in almost every field is embarrassing!

Heck, if a Spark costs $1k less, but gets 40MPG instead of 50, the $1k buys them on average 16k miles.
    Or over the course of 100k miles, the $1k discount invested in fuel round about buys you back that 10MPG difference!

Not to diss on the Mirage, but current pricing is just absolutely ridiculous!
    Last edited by ProDigit; 09-30-2020 at 06:24 PM.