The yearly dolphin hunt in Taiji, Japan has gained international attention in recent years, and this past week has earned itself the spotlight again. A slaughter of 250 dolphins in one day and statements made by well-known celebrities and politicians questioning the rationale behind the killings is now bringing this issue to light. U.S. Ambassador to Japan, Caroline Kennedy, tweeted the US opposes the killings: "Deeply concerned by inhumaneness of drive hunt dolphin killing. USG opposes drive hunt fisheries."

Japan native and partner of the late John Lennon, Yoko Ono, wrote a letter to Prime Minister Abe and the people of Taiji stating "the slaughter was harming Japan’s international reputation and gave countries such as China and Russia an excuse to “speak ill of Japan”. She wrote: "The future of Japan and its safety depends on many situations, but what you do with dolphins now can create a very bad relationship with the whole world."

Japan has responded that the dolphin hunt is a tradition and will not end due to pressure from Western countries. The tradition, in fact, only started in 1969 according to the Taiji Whaling Museum. Over 23,000 dolphins are killed off of Japan each year and despite the International Whaling Commission banning whaling in the 80's, Japan has found a loophole to continue the hunts; classifying them as "scientific research"

With all of this, I'm noticing more and more calls on social media and news blogs to boycott any and all products made in Japan or under a Japanese brand name.

Personally, I'm 100% against these killings, but also understand that we do the same here in Western countries with cows, pigs, and chickens. However, dolphin meat is toxic and high in mercury, and is dangerous for human consumption.

I've been to Japan and visited some of the WWII memorials and the Hiroshima Peace Park, and at all of these venues, the informational signs and placards have a tone that it was not Japan's fault for the war and they are unapologetic about it.

I loved the country, it's scenery, it's people and their kindness, and the vibrant cities, but something there kind of rubbed me the wrong way. They, as a culture, don't like to admit failure and want to do things their own way. There was also a creepy "Stepford Wives" vibe that everything had a happy façade, which wasn't the case, through much of society.

I'm not on the verge of calling a boycott, but it will play a part in my future buying decisions and be a factor when thinking about the countries and economies that are benefitting from my large purchases. Especially since the Mirage is on my shopping list.

Do any of you factor in a car's origin and where it came from when making a car purchase? Or do you buy based on what car, and manufacturer, deserves your business the most based on how which car suits your needs, regardless of origin?

This isn't menat to be, and hopefully won't be, a political thread, but just wanted to know if that ever plays a part in your buying decisions and especially with the latest news, on getting a Mirage?