Yeah, here's the Fit's problem vs. the Mirage:

Name:  40mpg.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  90.1 KB

That's a bit worse than I was expecting -- from the ~200 km trip home from my friends' place. My Mirage would have easily been upper 50's on the same trip. A normie driver would have seen mid-30's in the Fit today.

It's still decent - beats the EPA rating...

2008 Honda Fit 4 cyl, 1.5 L, Manual 5-spd
City: 28 MPG / Highway: 34 / Combined: 31

Route details: ~22 C / 72 F, dry, mostly scenic roads @ 80 km/h = 50 mph, with a moderate headwind. Also multiple small towns with 60 km/h speed zones, plus around ~5 km of freeway driving at 105 km/h = 65 mph. Engine off where practical [eg. traffic lights, approaching some stops, turns etc.]

Granted, it's not a fair comparison since my Mirage has many eco mods, and the Fit was rolling on terrible old snow tires at 36 PSI that made it feel like it was driving through wet concrete.

Oink oink...

The Fit is also a little porker! When I need to move a car in the driveway I often just roll it by hand, and the Fit is noticeably harder to move than the Mirage. So I looked up the curb weight and was very surprised: 2432 lbs for the manual, or about 400 lbs more than the Mirage!

I've since done a few basic eco mods to it - including putting the summer tires on and upping the pressure, and it rolls better, but still not as easily as the Mirage. A back roads round trip yesterday showed 49 MPG, which is great, but again the Mirage would have done low-mid 60's.

Also, the Fit's seat is noticeably less comfy than the Mirage's. I'd like a bit more thigh support.