Thread: Gearbox had the wrong oil in it? 5MT shifting problems fixed with thinner oil.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Gearbox had the wrong oil in it? 5MT shifting problems fixed with thinner oil.

Name:  5420.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  28.3 KB

Long story short / TLDR:

I "fixed" my 5-speed's shifting problems by putting a thinner synthetic gear oil in the transmission.

But maybe the problems were caused by the wrong oil in there to begin with?

Background:

The manual gearbox in Mirage #3 has been troublesome since I got it. Even in the summer, 2nd gear was occasionally balky/crunchy. (I figured that's what I got for buying a car that the previous owner admitted was her first manual.)

But as the ambient temperatures dropped this fall, it got significantly worse.

With outside temperatures around freezing and a cold drivetrain, getting second gear was a real problem. (Sometimes 3rd and 1st as well.) Double-clutching didn't solve it. But when the car warmed up, shifting improved.

The plan: mixing a thinner oil

Since it was clearly temperature-related, I started looking at options for thinner oils. Foama suggested mixing some ATF with the usual gear oil to see if that would help. I bought a quart of Royal Purple 100% synthetic MT "Syncrhomax" and a quart of Redline MT-85 (75w85).

Molasses?

When I removed the drain plug to drain the old oil, I was surprised at how thick it was. It seemed like not very much was coming out, and for a moment I actually thought it might be empty! Only after I removed the fill plug did it start to drain properly.

Temperature was around 5 C / 41 F.

Comparing viscosities

Just for fun, I decided to do a simple "pour test" to compare how each of the oils flowed. I poured half a litre of each oil in a marked container with a small hole (~2.5 mm) in the bottom and timed how long it took for the container to drain to empty. I also tested some 5w20 synthetic motor oil for reference.

Time to drain 0.5L @ 5 C Oil type
    2 min 25 sec old gear oil
    1 min 22 sec Redline MT-85 synthetic gear oil 75w-85
    1 min 13 sec 5w20 synthetic motor oil
    0 min 56 sec Royal Purple synthetic Synchromax MT oil

Shifting problems fixed!

I ended up going with 1 qt Redline + 0.7 qt Royal Purple, and it's like the car has a different transmission - the shifting problems are all but gone.

Name:  0000251_mt-85-75w85-gl-4-gear-oil_464.jpeg
Views: 1125
Size:  53.1 KB
    Name:  synchromax-royal-purple-g.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  38.7 KB

Wrong old oil?

The big difference in viscosity between the old oil vs. the Redline raises the question (meaning: foama and inuvik raised it): maybe the old stuff was too heavy to begin with?

Possibility #2: it was non-synthetic and thus too thick when cold?

I could do more research, but I'd rather sit on my butt, speculate and theorize!

I'm just happy the shifting is better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Alpha_One (11-23-2021),craigq (12-31-2021),inuvik (11-23-2021),Mark (11-23-2021),Top_Fuel (11-23-2021)