Thread: Thinking of buying a mirage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,726 Times in 2,131 Posts

Considering a 2018 Mirage

You are getting great advice from everyone. In my opinion, the Mirage is an affordable, reliable, & economical car that comes with a great factory warranty. While you are making payments, you will have a 5-years/60,000 miles bumper-to-bumper warranty & 10-years/100,000 miles powertrain warranty. Other than normal maintenance items, you don’t have to worry about any added costs. If you have a particular car in mind, I would ask to have the alignment checked on it by an independent car shop that is nearby. The cost of the alignment check would give you a piece of mind prior to purchase. A good dealership should be willing to allow that. If the Mirage isn’t or can’t be perfectly aligned, I would just pick out another one & repeat.

If you plan to keep the car for number of years, I feel the Mirage is a great option. Cars are not an investment. Cars are money pits, and one has to determine how much money you want to throw in it. I also feel the Mirage ES (manual) is the best buy, & fewer people want to borrow your car when it's a manual. You, however, seem to know what you want. There is nothing wrong with that.

I really like my 2017 Mirage ES (manual), & my car just turned over 13,000 miles yesterday. Some complain about the depreciation of these cars. If you plan on keeping a car, it’s really hard to beat a highly discounted Mirage in my mind. It’s an economy car, & I never lose sight of that. If I drive my Mirage for 10+ years, the most it can depreciate is what I paid for it. I paid $9299 (window sticker was $14,200) for a new Mirage last October. The $10,153.73 “out the door” price (including tax, license, new plates, etc...) made me stop looking at used car options. Insurance costs may be something you may want to consider, but all cars cost something to insure.

The most economical car on the road is one that is paid off and not worth much. You can drop your comprehensive/collision coverage and just carry liability. When that day comes, I will like my Mirage even more! In the meantime, I really enjoy driving the darn thing!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-10-2018 at 06:13 AM.