Thread: Buying a Used Mirage? Things to Look For / Common Problems

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Buying a Used Mirage? Things to Look For / Common Problems

There is lots of good info spread throughout this forum, I thought I would summarize some of the major issues / failure points in one place for any prospective buyers.

2013-2014

-Some early models have intermittent starter grind which will only get worse over time. ~$2000-$3000 [Forum Search --> "starter grind"]

2013-2015

-Partially plugged heater cores can cause weak heat on passenger side. ~$1000

2017+

-Power window motor comes loose?

Not sure what model years are affected by the following:

-Rear "axle" out of alignment from the factory on some cars. The whole assembly must be replaced or you'll burn through tires. I'm not sure if this was resolved in the newer model years. $1000ish out of warranty? Not sure. [Forum Search --> "rear alignment"]

-Clutch cable on manual cars can corrode and snap prematurely. Cheap/easy fix but something to be aware of as it can leave you stranded.

My Experience:

I've had a 2015 manual for 5 years now, no issues other than the rear "axle" replaced under warranty. We were considering a 2014 CVT for my mom, but unless the rear alignment and starter grind were resolved by the previous owner, I think we will pass on it.

Please let me know if there is anything I should add to the list. Overall these seem to be pretty reliable, but it's good to know the major issues / failure points as a used car buyer.
    Last edited by anog; 05-14-2020 at 01:10 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-13-2020)