Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Coolant Temperature!! (Is there a way to display it?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    . So I will probably go to 185/55R14 since it sounds like 195 will be too wide and will rub. I have tried Pirelli, Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich, and others and I like the Goodrich tires the best.
    185/55r14 (22") are not a popular size (Walmart has 3 options) , & they are smaller diameter than factory 165/65r14 (22.4") tires.

If your are interested in 185 wide tires, 185/60r14 (22.7") will give you way more options (Walmart has 76 options).

For the money, I prefer Cooper tires. There are quite common in my area. Many small town mechanics recommend them, & places like Blaine's Farm & Fleet/Mill's Fleet Farm also carry them. Mastercraft tires & a few other off brands are also made by Cooper.

Cooper tires are not as well known as some of the larger tire brands. If you search for genuine American tire brands, however, you will find there are two - Goodyear & Cooper.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . I did some quick research and you are correct. Goodrich doesn't list any tires for the Mirage. I am going to contact them and Tire Rack on Monday. Cooper is a thought. I would still like to have at least 195s under this thing but it probably isn't possible at least not without buying rims. Since ETACS can be adjusted for different circumference tires the overall diameter of the tire is not a big deal. Easy to compensate for different size tires. You couldn't do this with the Protege or the earlier vehicles that I owned. If you went to a wider tire you had to use a smaller aspect ratio to maintain the over all circumference.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . I did some quick research and you are correct. Goodrich doesn't list any tires for the Mirage. I am going to contact them and Tire Rack on Monday. Cooper is a thought. I would still like to have at least 195s under this thing but it probably isn't possible at least not without buying rims. Since ETACS can be adjusted for different circumference tires the overall diameter of the tire is not a big deal. Easy to compensate for different size tires. You couldn't do this with the Protege or the earlier vehicles that I owned. If you went to a wider tire you had to use a smaller aspect ratio to maintain the over all circumference.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    There are a lot of tire threads on this forum. I know how tire width & aspect ratios work.

I am looking up exact tire specs when I am communicating with you. I tend to use this one -

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

You can type in whatever tire sizes and compare. I usually take that one step further. I look at sites that sell tires and see if that size is popular or not. Some sizes are rare.

It's a small economy car that's not overly blessed with extra power. Should you need warranty work, I would keep your factory tires. Larger tires will most likely void your future warranty claims. That's been discussed on this forum, too.

The suspension of a Mirage is also quite soft. Slapping on large tires without addressing that may cause issues. I know one forum member spent a good amount of money on new rims & 195 wide tires. After a brief time, he back to 175 wide tires.

If you want to use your current 14" rims, 175/65r14 or 185/60r14 are probably your best options.

For 15" factory rims, 175/55r15 factory tires bumped up to 185/55r15 tires are a good option.

If your warranty means nothing to you, I'm sure you'll find something else that will work for you. I am just sharing sizes that give a person more tire options to pick from without creating a lot of problems/issues. Appropriately sized 165-185 wide tires are relatively safe bets. Anything wider than that will most likely require more input from others.

I don't remember anyone changing their tire circumference in ETACS. I can't imagine a dealership doing that for you without jeopardizing any future warranty claims with Mitsubishi. I don't think this is as simple as you think.

I hope you find something you like.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-29-2020 at 02:07 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . I know that you are trying to help and I really appreciate it. Yes, I care about the warranty but I also like the higher grip of larger tires. When I do have to replace the tires I will probably put on 185/60R14s. Tire Rack has these in several different brands including Uniroyal Tiger Paws. They also have Coopers. I have heard about Coopers but I have never used them. I used Tiger Paws decades ago and I liked them. It is a shame that it looks like Goodrich no longer makes the smaller tires.
    . . . . Now what about more power. Mainly turbos. I don't really care for NOX. You have to refill it just like you have to recharge a battery and just like a battery there is a limited amount of range. Turbos reuse the energy in the exhaust and can improve fuel economy along with providing more power.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Actually the speedo is extremely correct on our cars! Correct means it very correctly conforms with legal requirement, not that it shows speed accurately...
    The legal requirement was topic in a thread on this forum some time ago. Practically all countries have adopted the same regulation. Regulation (R75/443 ) says a speedometer must display up to 10% more, but at least 4km/h more than actual speed.

In this part of the world, there is absolutely no shortage of 165/65R14, and law mandates you keep the size stated in the papers, and undertake nill technical modifications to the car, or you go to jail because any modifications would forfeit your registation and insurance immediately. Driving with no registration or insurance is a heavily punished crime.

If I were in the states I most probably would not hesitate putting on 175/65R14.
    Last edited by foama; 03-29-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Foama,
    . . . . Where do you live? I am glad that the commies haven't taken over our country. My dealer will correct the Speedo for me so that it shows the correct speed. I am sure that the NHTSA has written specifications requiring that our Speedometers must be correct plus or minus some percent and that legally my Speedo is OK but it isn't in my opinion. I agree on the tire size but will probably go to 185/60R14.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Where I live there are plenty of blondies, but no commies anywhere. The speedo actually very correctly conforms with law, so correcting it at, say 60mph, would most probably make it very accurate at every other indicated speed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Foama,
    . . . . If the correction factor in ETACS is 1728 than increasing it by 4% should make the Speedometer read the correct vehicle speed. That is the theory.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Foama,
    . . . . If the correction factor in ETACS is 1728 than increasing it by 4% should make the Speedometer read the correct vehicle speed. That is the theory.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Adding 4% to 1728.
    1728 x .04 = 69.12
    1728 + 69 = 1,797 mm

We are way off the topic of engine coolant here, but that happens quite often on this forum. These are the tire circumference settings in ETACS that someone else has shared on this forum -

1748mm
    1784mm
    2015mm
    2026mm
    2066mm
    2073mm
    2082mm
    2124mm
    2155mm
    2185mm

Just using data others have shared, the Mirage is set @ 1748 mm from factory.

A 165/65r14 tire has a circumference of 70.5 inches. 70.5" =1790.7 mm. It seems like 1784 mm would be a closer match, but what do I know?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . You are correct about your numbers. I don't mind the way things have wandered around. More like a conversation between friends than a cold blooded analysis. It is lot more fun that way and the Internet is my connection to the outside world. I am semi-house bound. More so with the country being closed. What about Turbo charging, engine builds and so forth? Would you care to go there?
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!