Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife's G4 just had the battery light come on again after 2 years.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Im too lazy to read can someone remind me if this car has warranty or not?
    No. We bought it used 3 years ago. It's at 60k miles. Subsequent owners only get a 5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    is it possible an intermittent electrical load such as the blower motor kicking on if you have auto climate or the high beams turning on if you have auto high beams could be loading up the system and causing the voltage to sag?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    is it possible an intermittent electrical load such as the blower motor kicking on if you have auto climate or the high beams turning on if you have auto high beams could be loading up the system and causing the voltage to sag?
    No her HVAC are manual knobs and she doesn't have automatic high beams nor a touchscreen. I'm going to smear some of that goo 7miles recommended on the connecter where cleaned the wiring for added protection. So far, it's holding steady and mechanic/electrical engineering friend assured me, being barely out of the 13.5 - 14.5 voltage isn't that big of a deal.

If the alternator or any other electrical component fails from further corrosion, we might get an Outlander Sport.
    I'm getting offers for $10k for the G4, that's what we payed for it 50k miles ago. If they spot the ghetto rigged connector maybe we can $8k? We'll see.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    No her HVAC are manual knobs and she doesn't have automatic high beams nor a touchscreen. I'm going to smear some of that goo 7miles recommended on the connecter where cleaned the wiring for added protection. So far, it's holding steady and mechanic/electrical engineering friend assured me, being barely out of the 13.5 - 14.5 voltage isn't that big of a deal.

If the alternator or any other electrical component fails from further corrosion, we might get an Outlander Sport.
    I'm getting offers for $10k for the G4, that's what we payed for it 50k miles ago. If they spot the ghetto rigged connector maybe we can $8k? We'll see.
    If you are thinking about the OS I'd highly recommend it. Although you can't buy a new with one with a manual transmission the OS doesn't seem to have many issues with the CVT8. All wheel drive is excellent. The real jewel is the either the 4B11 2.0 or the 4B12 2.4. Both of these 4 cylinders are really excellent and Mitsubishi have been manufacturing these engines for over 20 years. Extremely reliable. With the 2.0 you'll probably have to keep it in upper rpm's to get any power out of it to do anything other than freeway cruising. The 2.4 has a better torque curve and I track my fuel consumption on fuelly.com. There is 1 person who has a OS with the 2.4 CVT the same year as mine (2019) along with a few other 2.0 CVT's owners. The 2.4 fuel economy is BETTER than any of 2.0 CVT's. His lifetime average is just above 28 mpg with over 175 fill ups which is quite good. Not as good as my 2019 OS 5 speed manual lifetime average of 30.1 mpg over 47000+ miles but pretty darn good. My thought is that the torque curve of the 2.4 is much more suited to a CVT than the ridiculously low torque of the 2.0.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If you are thinking about the OS I'd highly recommend it. Although you can't buy a new with one with a manual transmission the OS doesn't seem to have many issues with the CVT8. All wheel drive is excellent. The real jewel is the either the 4B11 2.0 or the 4B12 2.4. Both of these 4 cylinders are really excellent and Mitsubishi have been manufacturing these engines for over 20 years. Extremely reliable. With the 2.0 you'll probably have to keep it in upper rpm's to get any power out of it to do anything other than freeway cruising. The 2.4 has a better torque curve and I track my fuel consumption on fuelly.com. There is 1 person who has a OS with the 2.4 CVT the same year as mine (2019) along with a few other 2.0 CVT's owners. The 2.4 fuel economy is BETTER than any of 2.0 CVT's. His lifetime average is just above 28 mpg with over 175 fill ups which is quite good. Not as good as my 2019 OS 5 speed manual lifetime average of 30.1 mpg over 47000+ miles but pretty darn good. My thought is that the torque curve of the 2.4 is much more suited to a CVT than the ridiculously low torque of the 2.0.
    This was really useful (to me), as my wife's Equinox is paid off, and the next new (used) car goes to me. An OS is definitely on the list to test drive, but before the 2022 update. I don't want a Nissan. Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    This was really useful (to me), as my wife's Equinox is paid off, and the next new (used) car goes to me. An OS is definitely on the list to test drive, but before the 2022 update. I don't want a Nissan. Thanks!
    The only OS model that has the 2.4 is the GT & GT Special Edition if I recall correctly. There are still a few of those still available on dealers lot so you might be able to find one. You definitely don't want a Nissan version of whatever is the next generation Outlander Sport. With current production shortages if you can find what you want don't hesitate because it will most likely be gone with nothing to replace it in the pipeline. I think you can still get a Outlander Sport for less than MSRP but I just searched using Mitsubishi's inventory search on their website and it shows less than 60 in stock in the USA.
    Last edited by inuvik; 05-29-2022 at 10:18 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Hold up, the Sport is becoming a Nissan next year? Damn.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Thank you for that! You confirmed a lot of what I already know. The FWD S or ES trim is what we want, so no 2.4L for us. AWD is a big deal breaker for me after dealing with my old Outback. I found out the hard way that if you have Subaru's AWD and get a flat tire, you have to replace all 4 wheels if they're even slightly worn.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thank you for that! You confirmed a lot of what I already know. The FWD S or ES trim is what we want, so no 2.4L for us. AWD is a big deal breaker for me after dealing with my old Outback. I found out the hard way that if you have Subaru's AWD and get a flat tire, you have to replace all 4 wheels if they're even slightly worn.
    There are actually a fair number of those available still. If you do end up buying one just realize that 3000, 4000 rpm is not stress full for the 2.0. That motor needs to spool up 3500 rpm before much of anything happens so as long as that doesn't bother you then I'd make a decision sooner rather than later.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Dirk...pony up a few bucks for a voltmeter that plugs into your power port. Here is an example of one.

This thing will tell you what the charging voltage of your car is while you are driving. If you see the battery light come on again, just glance down at this thing and see what it reads. Then when you post here b*tching about alternators that cost $1,000, you can tell us what voltage you are seeing.
    Top Fuel - Have you tried one of these yourself?

Dashes seemed cluttered like a space ship these days, but basic things like coolant temperature & voltmeter gauges are lacking. I find that annoying!

"Mercedes-Benz has officially unveiled its enormous MBUX Hyperscreen, a gigantic 56-inch in-car display unit which stretches from door to door. While the Hyperscreen is presented as the "biggest screen ever built in Mercedes", it actually features three distinctly separate, high-end displays." Apr 15, 2021

Imagine a young driver with ADD or ADHD driving with that amount of distraction? I sure hope every automatic safety feature is also included.

You could talk until you are blue in the face, & you are not going to convince me this is an important feature. I wonder if the same Mercedes have coolant temperature & voltage gauges?

Most of us probably use a USB charger in our cars. A slightly more expensive one that serves another function is not a bad suggestion at all!