View Poll Results: Does the Mirage have "enough" power?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's absolutely fine - I hardly ever ask for max power

44 51.76%
  • It's adequate. Enough said.

30 35.29%
  • I wish it had more power for where I drive or the way I drive.

11 12.94%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage owners: is 74 hp (or 78) "enough" power?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think most people don't want for power because it is very rare that most people use all the power a car has. I almost never run my cars at/near red-line, so even if I had a 300hp vehicle, I'd only be using a small fraction of the power in day-to-day driving. With the Mirage, I just use a larger fraction of the power, and as others have stated, notice significant fuel savings.

I once had a 250cc motorcycle, and being young and foolish, replaced it with a 750cc bike. In the city, that heavy bike did nothing for me, as it was an old one and despite having a top speed of 145mph, it didn't have a very wide power band and needed to be up in the 8000rpm range to realize the power. So, like a 300hp car, most of the time the power was wasted on me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-15-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BRagland View Post
    But, I find it FAR more amusing to drive this car than the mustang.

Also, going from 25MPG to 50 MPG overnight was a serious big win for me.
    I traded in my Mustang for the Mirage ... and I agree, it's much more fun to drive the Mirage than the Mustang. Go figure, eh?

I find that my Mirage can get to the next stop light almost as quickly as a far more powerful car.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

BRagland (12-15-2015),inuvik (12-15-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    I traded in my Mustang for the Mirage ... and I agree, it's much more fun to drive the Mirage than the Mustang. Go figure, eh?

I find that my Mirage can get to the next stop light almost as quickly as a far more powerful car.
    I sometimes joke that I would win every race, because while it takes me a few extra seconds, I can get to the starting line faster, as I don't have to stay at work as long to earn the extra purchase price/gas money!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I sometimes joke that I would win every race, because while it takes me a few extra seconds, I can get to the starting line faster, as I don't have to stay at work as long to earn the extra purchase price/gas money!
    Good one

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I just had an opportunity yesterday to test the Mirage's acceleration with my CVT. I was on a four lane city street that merged down to two lanes right after the light. The left lane had a line of cars and the right lane had no cars in it. So I rolled up to the light in the right hand lane and there was a Spark in the left lane first in line. He looked at me with a "you jerk" look and I could see the Spark move ahead a little like he was throttle braking slightly to make sure he wouldn't let me in at the merge.

I put the Mirage in "B", turned the traction control off and watched for the light to turn yellow on the other light. Applied the brake with my left foot and gave a little throttle (about 1200 rpm). Green light, floored it and took my foot off the brake. The Spark must have had a CVT too because he did the same thing.

The Spark pulled ahead for about 1/2 a car length but the 3A92 is eager to rev and spooled up to 6000 rpm's almost immediately. I could hear the Spark's crappy 4 cylinder slowly revving as I went by. Absolutely smoked him.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (06-17-2016),cyclopathic (12-16-2015),MightyMirageMpg (01-06-2017),precisionxt (02-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Absolutely smoked him.
    That's absolutely hilarious. I wish I could have seen *that* drag race. Any videos?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's absolutely hilarious. I wish I could have seen *that* drag race. Any videos?
    I wish, would have been epic! His expression when I blew past him was priceless "Like how can this be happening"!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I wish, would have been epic! His expression when I blew past him was priceless "Like how can this be happening"!
    Well he has a 4-cylinder that only produces 10 more horsepower. I bet the weight to power ratio sets it back actually. I'm very surprised that it only makes 10 more horses.

Edit: the spark does have the worst power to weight ratio

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...tio-comparison
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    We get more power in Europe (80hp) and I consider that with CVT as "more than adequate" for anything normal you can conceive doing with a car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I live in the mountains of WV. My fear was that the tiny engine would have trouble. Not so - I vary rarely use more than 70% throttle, even on the steepest of inclines. The little three-cylinder just pulls the rest of the car right along, and I'm getting excellent fuel economy. The way I drive, I think I would be fine with the even smaller 1.0L that isn't currently sold in the US.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 42.1 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.5 mpg (Imp)