Thread: Custom Sun Shade + Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Custom Sun Shade + Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax

Hi guys, just wanted to share 2 new things I got to take care of the car.

1) Covercraft Custom Sun Shade
    2) Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax

Name:  UltWax.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  92.6 KB

Above Pic: In the pic, had just finished applying Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax ($21) by hand the day before. I've also used Meguiar's Deep Crystal Wax ($8). ULW is not a Carnauba wax, it is actually a synthetic paint sealant while the Deep Crystal is made with Carnauba. Comparing the two visually, I see no measurable difference. The thing that will differentiate between the 2 is the durability. I felt after a month, a month and a half, DC would have to be re-applied. We shall see how well the ULW lasts. The MOST important thing for me though was ULW's promise NOT to stain black plastic trim. I had stained the black plastic trim with the DC for sure when I used it. Thankfully, I actually was able to get it off with a red, pencil eraser! I definitely wanted a wax I could apply without having to tape my car off (time constraints!). I did not purposely try to avoid the black trim, but I certainly was not shy about applying wax where the red meets the black! Had I used the DC in this manner, I know for a fact my black trim would have been quite stained. I am extremely pleased to report that the ULW most certainly does NOT stain black plastic! Now if it lasts at least 3 months in this FL heat, I will have my wax of choice!!

Name:  IMGP0051.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  IMGP0050.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  94.7 KB

Above 2 Pics: Rained later that evening. Some pics to display the water beadage. Looked like my car was sweating! I also apply wax to my front windshield. I have done this with Meguiar's DC and the ULW. I'd like to report that when using the DC, the rain droplets would not begin to slide off the glass (RainX effect) until I hit ~40 mph. WIth the ULW, RainX effect seems to kick in at around ~30-35mph.

Name:  IMGP0049.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  91.0 KB

Above Pic: Look how insane the FL sun can get! So blinding, looks like a picture I took in heaven. Anyways, I am so glad I got the custom sunshade from Covercraft. I was doubting it was actually going to be fit to the measurements of the model of the car. I'm happy to report that it actually is custom cut to the car's windshield measurements. The build quality is also much better than generic Autozone sunshades. In the pic you can see how dark it is in the interior thanks to the sun shade. I promise you without it, with the FL sun as it was in the pic, everything would have been illuminated. There is SUCH a big difference when I go into my car now (I also have 3M's Crystalline Window Tint on all windows). Before, it was like getting my face slapped when I opened up the car door at noon. If you live in a northern state, let me just illustrate it this way. If you've baked something in the oven and finally opened the oven door to get the food out at the end, that overwhelming, initial heat wave is the sensation I am talking about. I don't have to deal with that anymore and I can no longer cook eggs on my dash! I love the custom fit as it leaves very little space for sun to get through except around the front, rear view mirror. Since I have the top tint strip on my windshield, the only real sun that gets through has to come through the 20VLT tint strip.

Name:  IMGP0048.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0046.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  89.6 KB

Above 2 pics: Interior view of sunshade.

In the North, you have to worry about salt destroying your car in the Winter. Here in the South, you have to worry about the Sun destroying your car in the Summer! Actually, here in FL, it's basically all the seasons you still have to worry about the Sun minus Winter..

-Charlie-

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-24-2014)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Should invest in a dashmat as well. Will help keep the dash from cracking.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Looks great!

Was there any difference in applying the two different waxes?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Looks great!

Was there any difference in applying the two different waxes?
    Actually, there was! Deep Crystal, when it's ready to take off has a very obvious haze to it. Ultimate Liquid Wax..haha, I REALLY had to pay attention to remember where I applied the stuff. I'll take that tradeoff any day though because ULW does not stain plastic.

-Charlie-

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-24-2014)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I have tried both meguiar's NXT tech wax 2.0 (full synthetic) and the Ultimate Liquid Wax. Liquid wax is totally for laxy ppl, will cost you in the end way much more than the tech wax synthetic paste without any noticeable difference between those two. NXT tech wax will last for more than 25 cars applies while the Liquid Wax will only last for around 10 cars.
    I clean the car with ultimate wash and wax anywhere, basically you don't need anything else but I always applies the Ultimate detailer after, then the ultimate liquid wax. If the surface is not slippery smooth, I will apply Meguiars clay bar with the detailer and then the wax. You will feel the car becoming slippery smooth again. To remove scratches under door lever I use the Ultimate Compound (red bottle). Ultimate dash and trim restorer is used for interior treatment. The metal polish I use to clean the metal pipes in the engine compartment.

There ... I'm a big spender for a small car LOL

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to m4v3r1ck For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-24-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @ m4v3r1ck:

I read some REALLY great things about NXT wax. Would have gotten it instead of ULW if it only did not stain plastic. And yes, I guess I am lazy! For me, I never washed, much less wax my old, hand me down car. This is huge change for me! I know the ULW costs significantly more than NXT, but even so, the ULW bottle will last for quite a while still. You say ULW will last 10 applications. Well to be safe, I will slash that number in half. Let's say 5 applications. I am going to apply ULW probably every 3 months (hope it lasts for this time period!). So 1 full bottle will last me over a whole year. Spending $20 a year is absolutely nothing IMO, and it saves me the trouble from taping the car off. Money well spent (again, IMO).

That's awesome that you do so much detailing work on your car, it must look pristine!

-Charlie-