Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning Keep your floor dry! (recall: potential electrical short circuits/corrosion)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Pictures of what?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The ice build up / foot well area.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Burnt wires

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Can someone get pictures? The ones we have are pretty blurry.
    Got these two pictures from a customers 2015 Mirage, that had come to the dealer via tow truck. Apparently corrosion inside the terminal had caused a short circuit. Overheated wires can be seen in the first picture. Strangely however this didn't cause any fuses to blow. On the upside, there was no damage done to the cars computer or any other part of the electrical system. Name:  Photo1388.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  38.9 KB
    This terminal sits beside the hood latch lever behind the plastic trim. This car was sold in October 2014, as a 2015 model. 6300km at the time this picture was taken.
    Sorry for the camera phone, pictures aren't the highest def, but one can clearly see the green corrosion in the second picture.
    Also to note, there is NO division from the front of the floor to the back. So the back of the car is often quite soaked as well. Some parts of the carpet throughout the car have damping materials glued to the underside of the carpet. This acts like a sponge and soaks up the water. However this makes drying the carpet very difficult. Using a shop vac only removes the top layer of water. It may look dry, but each time you apply pressure to the carpet, as with a sponge, more water is released throughout the floor. So I don't recommend a coin operated vacuum (It will cost you plenty of change.) It took the mechanic about an hour to dry everything up, using a shop vac and a heat gun under the carpet.
    My Mitsubishi dealer recommends owners to at least bring in their car and document a complaint. Therefore owners will have a course of action if in the future they experience God forbid, rusted floors. If you're over the age of 40, you might remember cars such as the Chevrolet Chevette, which often had nothing but the carpet keeping your feet inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 58.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to motormontreal For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-07-2015)

Oh boy! Mitsubishi might not be too happy about this, I predict a recall in the near future. Customers who already purchased a Mirage will probably be furious and start filing complaints. I hope they do pick up on the issue quickly so they can issue a fix otherwise it would not bode well to the Mirage just as steam started picking up on sales and CSI.

Maybe my plan to purchase my Mirage in the summer would prove best so I can wait to see how this turns out and prepare a fix myself.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by motormontreal View Post
    If you're over the age of 40, you might remember cars such as the Chevrolet Chevette, which often had nothing but the carpet keeping your feet inside.

my first car, an old high mileage 1978 honda civic, literally had no floor behind the drivers seat. you could just look at the road passing beneath the undercarriage! you don't see any civics of that era on the road these days...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    At this rate Mitsubishi may add a 12 volt SUMP PUMP as a genuine accessory! lol There goes my AC upgrade.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 58.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess everyone in snow country will have to be extra careful not to get snow inside the car.and have some weather tec standard . Thankfully I don't get that much snow. But I still would like to have a pair.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    in addition to being functional , they look good.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by motormontreal View Post
    Got these two pictures from a customers 2015 Mirage, that had come to the dealer via tow truck. Apparently corrosion inside the terminal had caused a short circuit. Overheated wires can be seen in the first picture. Strangely however this didn't cause any fuses to blow. On the upside, there was no damage done to the cars computer or any other part of the electrical system. Name:  Photo1388.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  38.9 KB
    This terminal sits beside the hood latch lever behind the plastic trim. This car was sold in October 2014, as a 2015 model. 6300km at the time this picture was taken.
    Sorry for the camera phone, pictures aren't the highest def, but one can clearly see the green corrosion in the second picture.
    Also to note, there is NO division from the front of the floor to the back. So the back of the car is often quite soaked as well. Some parts of the carpet throughout the car have damping materials glued to the underside of the carpet. This acts like a sponge and soaks up the water. However this makes drying the carpet very difficult. Using a shop vac only removes the top layer of water. It may look dry, but each time you apply pressure to the carpet, as with a sponge, more water is released throughout the floor. So I don't recommend a coin operated vacuum (It will cost you plenty of change.) It took the mechanic about an hour to dry everything up, using a shop vac and a heat gun under the carpet.
    My Mitsubishi dealer recommends owners to at least bring in their car and document a complaint. Therefore owners will have a course of action if in the future they experience God forbid, rusted floors. If you're over the age of 40, you might remember cars such as the Chevrolet Chevette, which often had nothing but the carpet keeping your feet inside.
    Wow....so these charred wires are one half of a wire harness/plug assembly, or is this the plug that clips into a module full of computer chips and transistors? If it was just a plug/harness connector I might cut it out ( if warranty had expired) and resolder the wires with good insulators/shrink tube.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    Wow....so these charred wires are one half of a wire harness/plug assembly, or is this the plug that clips into a module full of computer chips and transistors? If it was just a plug/harness connector I might cut it out ( if warranty had expired) and resolder the wires with good insulators/shrink tube.
    What you see in the picture is a plug/harness connector. You are right in thinking of resoldering the wires and using shrink tubes, because that's what the mechanic from Mitsubishi did.