Thread: Mirage mileage instrumentation (odometer showing 2.5% less than actual )

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Mirage mileage instrumentation (odometer showing 2.5% less than actual )

It seems like my mirage's mileage reading is not correct. It seems to read about 2.5% less than actual mileage (for every 100 km traveled, my car reads about 97.5 km).

I've calculated against a GPS (running software, includes elevation readings). Most of the time it's 2.5% but sometimes varies. It also does not match road markers..

So my 18.4 km/l is actually 18.8 km/l (not a very small figure).

Anyone else noticed or can do an accurate measurement?

Tire size for MY is 165/65/14 Bridgestone Ecopia EP150

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Odometer accuracy changes slightly as tires wear. New tires have a larger circumference due to deeper treads.

I have read that some automakers attempt to take tire wear into account and calibrate an "average" odometer reading over the typical life of the tires. So new tires would slightly under-report distance, and worn tires would slightly over-report distance. But over the life of the tire, the actual distance would be close to accurate.

Not saying that is what's going on with your car, but it's a possibility.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    So... Should I report my car's odo for the distance or the real distance to calculate MPG =D

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Good question.

I like accuracy. The odometer is slightly off on my car, so I adjust the distance before making my fuel economy calculations.

But I would check the odometer again as the tires wear, to see if you need to adjust your calculations again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I wouldn't bother. If you didn't have GPS you'd never know there was even an inaccuracy. It all evens out in the end anyway.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

GrnBn (07-17-2014)