Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going West in my Mirage

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Post Going West in my Mirage

Hello,

I've finally hit the road in my fully loaded Mirage. I am moving from MD to CA and am bringing all my left-over stuff along. My lady friend is also aboard. My Dolly swallowed two big flip-boxes for docs and clothes, three smaller crates for kitchen stuff and food supplies, a 48 quarts cooler, a small children table, a large duffel bag, a folding bike, two day-packs, a tent with mat and sleeping bags, a stove, and my tool box. The hitch carries camping supplies, likes tarps, poles, coal, and additional linens.

On the first stretch, we crossed MD and WV into OH. It's very hilly and the highways take you up and down with speed limits of mostly 65MPH and up 70. Going uphill with such big load is quite interesting. In 5th gear, there is little hope to maintaining the speed-limit, but switching into 4th is in principle ok, but at 70MPH, you'd have to rev the engine beyond 4k RPM which I don't really like. Also, the cruise control is not too good with these steep tracks. I just moved over to the snail lane and climbed up with my 60MPH or 65MPH at more shallow slopes. I typically would also switch off the AC at the foot of an incline and get a better pull on the ascend. On the other hand, I believe that my Dolly was not too big of a traffic obstacle since I mostly drove the posted speed limits on the rest of the route.

The first fill-up showed 48.7MPG, which is quite ok, considering the high speed, difficult terrain, load and the use of AC.

I did log the first stretch of the drive (speed, temperature, GPS, ...), but unfortunately cleared the data instead of sending it. Better luck on the next miles.

After 500 miles on the first day, I want to say that this is possibly the maximal distance we will be driving per day the next three weeks. The comfort is ok, and greatly improved with the presence of the cruise control (compared to my last trip around Lake Erie)

I'll update this post as we move along. The next stops will be IL and then northwards towards Minnesota.

Just enjoyed a some kind of spaghetti chilli in Cincinnati.

Update #1: (2500 miles done)
    Thank you all for the wishes. Just a quick update; we were playing the game, spot a Mirage while driving. The latest score is as follows:

Update #2: (4000 miles done)
    Just popped the 4k miles cherry at the gates of Las Vegas, NV. To make matters more ceremonial, we were accompanied by two Mirages when the odometer jumped to 4000. For a short moment, we three owned the I-15 SB with our little Mirages. A silver California Mirage followed us for about 10 miles, before zooming along and a white Mirage carried her bearded driver in haste towards Las Vegas. This day was also a Mirage fiesta, with a record of 5 cars spotted in a single day. Three were spotted in Zion National Park, UT and the two others were mentioned above. Curiously, all had different colors. After the insane drive across South Dakota, I decided to change my driving pattern to a more relaxed mode. I used to travel the speed limit, but 70+ MPH, uphill, and the crazy cross winds made the drive too tiresome for me and to uncomfortable for my passenger. Also, the fuel economy really sucked and dropped below 40 MPG. I switched to a 60 MPH cruise mode, without using trucks or other bigger cars for wind-cutting. Since then, I am getting constantly above or around 50 MPG, which is a really good number, considering my payload, the hitch, and heavy AC use.
    One thing I noted and is not necessarily unique to Mirages, the long stretches on the highway have left zillions of bug corpses splattered all over the hood and clogged up the grill. Not only will this be annoying to clean, it is also a wasp magnet. We've already woken up twice to discover the Mirage totally covered with these buggers. The first time, I tried to sneak into the car through the passenger seat and to drive fast enough to get them off my tail, but since I had to return to load our luggage, they obviously were coming back. The second time, we used bug spray with a much better response.
    Another issue that bothered me was the weird octane ratings in some gas stations. In Wyoming and Utah, many offer either 85 or 91. But since, the manual stated to only use 87 or higher, I've always reluctantly fueled my Dolly with premium gas.

I am still working on my logs, I will need a bit more quiet time for these files to process. There were a couple of interesting climbs on the trip which the Mirage took surprisingly well.

Mirages spotted on the trip:
    State #Mirages/state Colors and locations
    Maryland 0
    West Virginia 0
    Ohio 3 green, Columbus
    green, Springfield
    blue, Springfield
    Illinois 0
    Wisconsin 0
    Minnesota 2 red, Minneapolis
    blue, Mall of America
    South Dakota 3 red, I-90 EB near Sioux Falls
    silver, Badlands
    red, Mt. Rushmore
    Wyoming 1 silver, Yellowstone
    Utah 5 green, I-15 SB near Provo
    white, Red Canyon - Dixie Forest
    red, Zion, Watchmen campsite
    black, Zion, East exit
    blue, Zion, Visitor center
    Arizona 1 silver, I-15 SB near Littlefield
    Nevada 3 white, I-15 SB near Mesquite
    blue, Las Vegas
    black, Las Vegas
    California 2 purple, route 66 near Barstow
    blue, Victorville
    total

Name:  20150817_113106.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  101.4 KB
    This is a shot of the packed Mirage. Not visible in this pic are the folding bike (trunk) and the flip crates that are already packed inside (rear seats).

Name:  20150824_172054.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  101.3 KB
    The Mirage at Devils Tower, WY.

Name:  20150825_124111.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  91.3 KB
    Wasps take on Dolly for the first time in Buffalo, WY.

Name:  zion.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  104.6 KB
    Dolly at watchmen campground in Zion Nationalpark

Last edited by Donut; 09-04-2015 at 02:51 AM. Reason: trip update #2

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donut For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-18-2015),MetroMPG (12-22-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Good luck with your trip!

Where to in CA are you moving to? Which route are you taking? There are so many things to see alone the way

I've done a roundtrip from MD to CA twice, and while we had a few 900mi+ days, you generally don't want to drive more than 8-10 hours a day. Take your time and see all the things you can alone the way. Opportunities like this don't come often good luck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

Donut (08-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Be careful with license plate not being visible, easy way for a police officer to pull you over!
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    That is quite the trip. Stay safe! Looking forward to updates.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Donut (08-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    That is quite the trip. Stay safe! Looking forward to updates.
    I drove my outlander sport from PA to FL and then from FL to AZ and yea its a daunting trip at times but the sport is really comfortable and I got 30 mpg most fillups

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seabass1858 For This Useful Post:

Donut (08-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Safe travels!
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

Donut (08-25-2015)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    first update from a motel in Buffalo WY and 2400 miles, see above. The connection could be better, so I'll upload more pictures and a review later. It's been a lot of fun sofar...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice! Just noticed the plate on the rack in one of the pictures! So happy to see that and know your not going to get any trouble from the law. Looks great and must be so much fun!
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice pics so far (keep them coming please ). Looks like a great trip!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    updated starting post:
    Playing in Las Vegas, after 4000 miles. I'll have to download the images from the cam. The new ones are only snapshots from the smartphone.

Really great ride so far. As of today, we have also spotted 17 Mirages on the route ;-)