Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considerations before buying a Mirage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Considerations before buying a Mirage

I'm about to (maybe) go ahead with my ES CVT purchase. As I stated before, we've agreed to the price of $11,891 plus tax "fees" and license transfer. And, sorry 5-speed devotees, I really don't want a manual trans. anymore. I can live with low to mid forty's for MPG. (Tell me that will be the case . . . please!?) I know the clutch pedal is very easy to press down, buy I don't like hearing about difficulty getting the car into reverse either. My "shifting" days are over.

Otherwise I've got another concern about the car that is holding me back. So please help me with your opinion, as two concerns remain before a Monday 3/21/16 decision:

Once and for all, is there in fact a problem with the paint job on these cars? I've seen a few complaint postings, but need to know if it's something that's a "global" problem. I love taking care of the cars I drive. I’m getting a red one if that makes any difference. So I don't want a car with a lousy chipped-up paint finish that makes me cringe and regret my purchase everytime I wash and/or wax it by hand.

Also, I would like to buy the chrome "garnish" as they call it, for around the fog lights. I've seen them on e-bay for about a hundred dollars for a pair or set. Is there anywhere to buy these things aftermarket for a more reasonable price? The dealer wanted over that amount for the set. For that matter, if there is such a thing, what is the best source for aftermarket parts for this car?

Thanks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    My commute is very short 1.5 miles so my city mileage is in the upper 30's. Any time I'm on the highway for any length of time I get in the mid 40's for mpg with a couple of tanks over 50 mpg. Take a look a my mileage log.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/em-fuel...vehicleid=7358

The paint is thin on the Mirage. Either OEM or aftermarket mudflaps would be helpful along with a hood protector. But I haven't noticed any chipping on mine but others have.

There are a lot of OEM chrome garnishment that is available for the Mirage. As far as the best source I'll have to defer to others.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Our fuel log here shows Mirage owners averaging 41 mpg with the CVT trans.

I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post into a thread of its own. It'll get more attention that way.

If you're worried about the paint job, I'd make use of that clear film that you can stick on.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a CVT model, I'm averaging 52+ mpg combined.

I don't have any problems with the paint on my white mirage. I try to wax it about once a month with a synthetic polymer based wax.

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    well I complaint about the paint, but as I have been in a showroom while getting my own mirage fixed, I saw other small cars like the mirage with even worse paint: Opel Carl, Suzuki Celerio and go down the list... The opel carl even had 2 small stones behind the paint job on the C pillar revealinnng how thin the paint were, I think even thinner than mirage. I think Mitsubishi did a great job painting the car for it value. Just tak care of it, keep a good amount of distance between front cars and you. And yeah buy and apply a protective layer of plastic. I even saw An opel insigna(40,000$) with paint chips, so the paint is no better than mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    And remember mudflaps... overall remember how much car you are getting for the money! you can't get a corvette with 11k $ can ya? I'm loving the 50 MPG with manual. If the car feels notchy to begin with, then give it some thousands of miles. Mine is very smothe now after about 10k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Paint isn't more or less issue than on any Mazda, Toyota, Dodge, etc we owned in the past. Meaning if they use tar and chip, you tailgate trucks or go at highway speeds through construction zone, you gonna get chips. Waxing, touch up, and perhaps 1200 grid wet sanding and polishing will take care of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments and info.

Doesn't anyone know of any on-line manufacturer or supplier of aftermarket exterior chrome or molding parts for this car? Again, I'm trying to get the chrome fog light frame “garnish”. The OEM part price is ridiculous, not that I'm surprised. It's $150 at the dealer! Just a guess, but I bet these things probably cost about $20 to make for a set. We’re just talking about formed plastic, with chrome "contact paper" on top. But I guess marking-up parts is just how everybody involved makes money.

Thanks again, (again).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    The chrome garnish is available in Australia for as low as $53 Australian Dollars which translates to about $40.32 US$. Shipping to the USA is the big issue. Best bet would be to find a friendly Aussie forum member that you could pay to get it and have it shipped to you.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-M...AAAOSwQJhUbWFh

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes the pain is thin. But its that way on all new small cars. I was all over the Honda Fit forums before looking at the Mirage and they have the same problems. When you purchase the car wash it good and go have a "Clear Bra" installed that day. Most people wont know its there and it will save the paint! But do it from day one!