Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My alignment is fixed but my steering wheel not center

Country
    United States
    Thanks

My alignment is fixed but my steering wheel not center

Does anyone have instruction on steering wheel removal so I can realign the steering wheel and make it center? If it is easy I dont want to take it back to the dealer. I know people has change their steering wheel to an outlander one but should be the same procedure.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That is not how you center the steering wheel.
    There is an orientation notch in the splines allowing the steering wheel to only install in one position.
    It is set to center during alignment from under the car.
    The fact that it's off center after an alignment means they did a poor job.
    Take it back and make them do it right.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-15-2016),Eggman (05-14-2016),poorman1 (05-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    IchabodCrane is right. Call your dealer and don't take your steering wheel apart.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

flatbroke (05-15-2016),poorman1 (05-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    IchabodCrane is right. Call your dealer and don't take your steering wheel apart.
    Thank you all for the advice, I will drop it off Monday,...

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    it may not be exactly fixable.. if the issue is related to improper camber. The camber is not adjustable on this car, unless you are willing to slot top hole in strut or install camber bolts. You can also set unequal toe to compensate for it, but it may be tricky.

But then again it could be they just didn't set steering wheel straight when they did alignment.

Do you have the alignment printout to look at? Can you post it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have to assume it was a horrible alignment job without a final road test when done. It would have been obvious to the tech that the wheel was crooked. In a pinch you can center the wheel yourself by adjusting each tie rod the same amount in opposite directions a little at a time. it's not the best idea, but it works in a pinch especially if it's just a little off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    it may not be exactly fixable.. if the issue is related to improper camber. The camber is not adjustable on this car, unless you are willing to slot top hole in strut or install camber bolts. You can also set unequal toe to compensate for it, but it may be tricky.

But then again it could be they just didn't set steering wheel straight when they did alignment.

Do you have the alignment printout to look at? Can you post it?
    I learn from the forum to get a print out but I am no expert on it. I don't want to drive back an hour to wait 4 hours telling me that it is not fixable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
    I learn from the forum to get a print out but I am no expert on it. I don't want to drive back an hour to wait 4 hours telling me that it is not fixable.
    I'm no expert either, but we can look at your report for some details. Referring to your alignment results page, I see a couple values that are out of range. For example, Toe for both Front Left and Right Rear is out of their specified range. Since the rear axle is not adjustable, they made no changes. The Front Left Toe actual value is reported to be well within specs.

Call the dealership that did the work and discuss your concerns with them. If possible, offer to email a photo or video from a passenger while the car is being driven to better illustrate the problem. That way, the dealer can better understand what is going on. You could even share a YouTube video here on the forum so we may get a better idea ourselves.

Just some thoughts. Troubleshooting by remote can be a tricky endeavor.

Other things I have noticed is the results page seems to show their machine might not be properly set up. The test date is older than the model car. I doubt that has any impact on the readings, but kind of shows the level of care and professionalism of the shop and their technicians. Who knows - maybe they can't correct the date and time?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you all, I took the car back and the people gladly fix it within 40 minutes.

Now the car steering wheel is straight and center as I drive... This should be part of alignment fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmo168 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-17-2016),flatbroke (05-17-2016),inuvik (05-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wooo, glad to hear they took care of you.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)