Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear wheel camber?

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Rear wheel camber?

So I’ve done plenty of research and I know that the rear camber on our cars isn’t adjustable and all that stuff... but I’m wondering does anyone know how the rear setup in the following cars was possible?

Name:  7849960E-EAAD-43A9-A18D-0D21F6AFBF40.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  0615B64E-EE9F-4A19-A519-A0A6AA165FD8.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  82.0 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    1. Custom axle?
    2. Photoshop?
    3. Jumping train crossings?
    4. Clown car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know from experience that you can do lots of dumb things with an angle grinder and a welder.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Scooter (06-22-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Loren, that made me laugh. I guess I can relate.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey doax
    3D print me a rear camber method!

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I know from experience that you can do lots of dumb things with an angle grinder and a welder.
    And a cutting torch

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Ooooof. That’s what i feared... I couldn’t imagine cutting up the axle

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, unfortunately that is the only way to adjust rear camber and/or toe on our cars.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Ooooof. That’s what i feared... I couldn’t imagine cutting up the axle
    Which begs the question... were you really thinking of doing this? And if so, WHY?

The rear axle is a non-adjustable (in theory) part. But, it IS a replacable part. You can probably get a whole rear axle from salvage for $150-200. If there were bolt-on parts available to get whatever weird camber you want, they would likely cost more than that. So, you mod stock parts, and accept that you might have to replace those stock parts to get back to stock at some point.

Here's something I've learned in recent years. Cutting and welding stuff ain't rocket science. It does take some research and experience to know what the heck you're doing, and when you should reinforce something, and some skill to know that the welding is of sufficient quality. But, if I wanted 30 degrees of camber for some odd reason (or even just 3), I wouldn't hesitate to look at how I could accomplish that with minimal cutting and welding. If you screw it up, or it breaks after a year or two (and yes, you should absolutely INSPECT anything that you've modded pretty frequently for signs of cracking or bending), you can just replace it with another one.

From a performance standpoint, you're not going to gain anything at all by adding more negative camber to the rear of your Mirage. The front, on the other hand... that's where you need more cornering grip. I'm running 3 degrees of negative camber up there!

I've actually toyed with the idea of modding something on the rear axle to try to bring the rear toe closer to zero. It's got LOTS of toe-in back there, especially after you lower it. Any negative camber that you have on the rear axle becomes toe-in as the axle rotates upward. Good for straight-line stability. Not so good for turning.

But, geez... if you're running 30 degrees of camber, you're going to be replacing your tires every couple thousand miles, anyway. Spending a couple bucks on some custom work is just par for the course when you're playing those games.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    BTW, I did mod the heck out of my front control arms on the Mirage already. Wouldn't recommend it if you're not sure of what you're doing... but, once I came up with a good plan for what I wanted to do, it wasn't at all difficult to accomplish. Didn't cost much, either. Of course, I did all the cutting and fitting myself, and had a friend weld it together for cheap.

I guess cost is relative.

I paid $90 for a new aftermarket pair of control arms on eBay. Something like $80 for my ball joints. Maybe $20 for the hardware to put it all together. And $50 to have it welded. So, maybe $250 for custom lower control arms that made the car handle WAY better than a Mirage has any right to. Totally worth it.

Don't hang out with people like me, we're a bad influence.