Thread: DIY: Battery replacement (with slightly higher capacity)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Yup I've got a everstart max yellow, it's about 8 years old and still works lol. I also have a 2 year old side post ever start, left the stereo blasting in my jeep Cherokee 3-4 hours at a time (amplified) and would not have any issues.

One of the issues I'm having now is my starter grinds all the time with the added power
    I consider that pure luck. During my waning days at Wal-Mart I was filling shifts as a service writer after a couple people got fired. It was incomprehensible how many warranted battery returns there were. I had been there nearly 15 years and considered my 15th anniversary time to call it quits for a high school job based on what I was getting, so I had well planned to leave and left voluntarily so it's not that I'm holding a grudge but oh those returns. You can't fathom.

All it was was crap batteries and tires. Guys jumped their car to drive there to get a new battery. They changed the return procedures and it was awful. There were SO many. Cartfuls.

They used all the major brands. Exide, Johnson, Deka, some imported crap as sources from Mexico. Cost was all it was about. It was just crap. Their Deka sourced 68 group size weighed 2/3 of the actual Deka battery.

Given their margin even if they replace it they're still probably coming out ahead, however you're risking coming out from work to a dead car.

Tires were junk too, had some lady with like 4 kids in the van come up with some tires we carried, not so many miles with cord bulging through the tread. She couldn't afford the replacements and we couldn't really send her home due to liability. Don't know what happened (end of my shift) but it was messed up. I know a 40k mile tire probably will only last that long under ideal conditions, but 15k is ridiculous. Totally bald. Not like an alignment issue.

You want to risk it? That's up to you.

You could write a book about their cutting of corners (I actually did but second guessed legal ramifications of releasing it). If they saved $.0001 on a tire or battery they will do it. Even if it impacts performance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to man114 For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (07-23-2016)