Thread: 40,000kish Miles - Engine Replacement

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

40,000kish Miles - Engine Replacement

Just posting here for others. This winter, my 2014 mirage began making a knocking noise on cold starts on cold days only. This escalated to all cold starts making the knock. Power was sluggish, but as the car warmed, the noise went away.

2 Visits to the dealer and got a 'technician could not reproduce' each time when I complained about the issue. At the time, I also had a failure with my front driver window regulator, which immediately broke after 2 weeks. I call the dealer, fussed about the window and the non-diagnosis and asked them to take the car for the night, so they can drive it in the morning.

Lo and Behold, they hear the knocked, and investigate. The dealer was very good about this, though the notes on the failure are vague. They replaced the engine, looks shiny. No questions asked warranty replacement, Marina Mitsubishi in Rochester NY.

Solution as written:

Caused by:

After further diagnosis technician found that the motor is scored and causing the heavy knocking noise, needs to be replaced.

Parts installed:
    Engine Assy, Long (1000C848)
    Engine Oil, Synthetic, 0W
    Long Life Coolant
    Hose Clamp
    CVT Fluid, J4

I always got oil changes with the correct oil, and recently started doing it myself (after the knock started) due to me not trusting my local mechanics to not overfill.

Should I start putting a heavier oil in to avoid this in the future?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arthurdents For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (06-22-2018),Daox (06-20-2018),emdeplam (06-20-2018),ThunderG (06-20-2018)