Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Winter Tires

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    I got a set of rims and put a set of decent European-made winter tyres on. Bought no TPMS sensors for the winter tyres!

TPMS is required in Europe according to law for cars being first registered after 1. Jan.2015.
    Mine was registered six months before that date, and therefore TPMS is not mandatory.
    You can turn TPMS off altogether in ETACS, the dealer can do this for you. In Europe dealers may not want to do it, because they may fear doing it is against the law, which is not the case for vehicles registered before 2015.

If you take time to actually read the manual, and admittedly half of it is just about the blasted radio, you will find a section about the TPMS and how to set it.

BTW: Driving without winter tyres is a criminal offence in many states of Europe, but some few states have no specific regulations at all.

Last edited by foama; 10-03-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    : Driving without winter tyres is a criminal offence in many states of Europe, but some few states have no specific regulations at all.
    Driving with chains and on studded is illegal in our state, they can't sell them too.

Speaking of criminal offence does this mean that VW is criminally liable for what they have done?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Speaking of criminal offence does this mean that VW is criminally liable for what they have done?

In this part of the world a full official investigation is under way, and there are few doubting the public prosecutor will give them what they rightfully deserve.
    Meanwhile, other engine models and other manufacturers products are also being looked at. The focus is not just limited to diesel engines either. It now seems as if VW corporation might perhaps be just one fish of a swarm.

Expect to hear more interesting revelations as they emerge.
    Last edited by foama; 10-03-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Australia has a class action suit against VW.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Australia has a class action suit against VW.....
    They advertising those here in US of A. And this is just a tip of the iceberg; shockwaves are everywhere

If you get bored watch this video.
    https://youtu.be/jCR8Y_cm3ic

Not sure what the AU equivalent of "basic girl" is, but you can look it up in urban dictionary.

Now it would be probably a good idea to get back to winter tires.

I am actually surprised that it could be illegal to drive w/o winter tires. The US state laws are all over the place, but generally they limit the use of winter tires to winter month to reduce road wear. The only time I've seen the chains/winter tires required was on some mountain passes.

On those they have the check points where they could turn you back if conditions were possible and you didn't have them to put on, but I've never seen that enforced. A very few times we passed through they were not manned. I suppose living in low lands, close to Atlantic and more south than Naples and Istambul does not expose you to snow too often.

Yeah it falls down sometimes. When the good one comes there will be a couple of feet on the ground. Black ice is usually much more of the concern, I guess this is why OP got snow tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (10-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Anyone else suiting up for winter? What tires did you end up going with?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The free ones the dealer gave me of course Mitsubishi has a deal on in Canada where you get free rims and tires if you buy a vehicle now. The deal does not include the Mirage ES, but I negotiated enough to get tires.

I put them on a set of steel rims I had for my other car (same bolt pattern). Yet to put them on the Mirage, though. Waiting for a warmish day to put them on in my driveway...Sunday, maybe. The rims are a bit wider than the stock ones, so the tire will have more surface area on the ground as well.

I live in the snowiest city in Canada. Not worried about the Mirage in the snow at all. RWD aside, 99% on winter driving is skill and having winter tires. I believe the actual car has very little to do with it. The Mirage has some good height, and I not once got stuck in my lowered Integra, so.
    Last edited by nickpon; 11-16-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just installed a tire and wheel package from tirerack.com When I tried to order them online, the site would not allow me to de-select the TPMS sensor option. So I called them and the guy said as long as I bring them to a tire shop I didn't need to order the sensors. (WINK-WINK)
    The tires are: General Altimax Arctic 175/65R-14 directional (studdable) snow tires.
    The wheels are plain jane black painted steels, 14"x6"

To my door, it was about $586 USD mounted and balanced, and they inlcuded new chrome lugnuts.

If you can see in the pictures, with about 48,000miles on them I definitely needed new tires. Also winter is about here and I didn't want to drive with my alloys in the winter again.
    Name:  NCM_0229[1].jpg
Views: 322
Size:  93.8 KB
    Name:  NCM_0231[1].jpg
Views: 300
Size:  91.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20151121_072306[1].jpg
Views: 323
Size:  78.9 KB
    Last edited by Skee-lo-Green; 11-21-2015 at 07:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skee-lo-Green View Post
    I just installed a tire and wheel package from tirerack.com When I tried to order them online, the site would not allow me to de-select the TPMS sensor option. So I called them and the guy said as long as I bring them to a tire shop I didn't need to order the sensors. (WINK-WINK)
    The tires are: General Altimax Arctic 175/65R-14 directional (studdable) snow tires.
    The wheels are plain jane black painted steels, 14"x6"

To my door, it was about $586 USD mounted and balanced, and they inlcuded new chrome lugnuts.

If you can see in the pictures, with about 48,000miles on them I definitely needed new tires. Also winter is about here and I didn't want to drive with my alloys in the winter again.
    Name:  NCM_0229[1].jpg
Views: 322
Size:  93.8 KB
    Name:  NCM_0231[1].jpg
Views: 300
Size:  91.2 KB
    Attachment 4529
    you will love those tires...I ran them last winter and was really impressed with both stopping and starting in deep snow and on ice

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You got 48,000 miles out of the OEM Enasaves?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)