Thread: Manual transmissions die too (or are killed)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Manual transmissions die too (or are killed)

Name:  busted-trans.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  80.7 KB

I have an e-mail alert for Mirages for sale under $4k within 500 km (300 mi.) of here.

The above ad is for a base 2015 with a busted manual transmission. (Also it has 200k km / 120k miles on it and they're asking $2k, which is nuts, but that's another story.)

That's at least the 5th ad I've seen in the last couple of years for a Mirage with that detail mentioned. (Or stating that the manual transmission has already been replaced.) Here was another one - a 2014 for $1700.

The owner told me the mechanic said it could not be driven far or fast.

And let's not forget Steve's 300k mile Mirage with a troublesome but undiagnosed manual transmission problem that forced him to finally park the car:

Edit: added Dodge Aries K's BASKETCASE (though its transmission was likely murdered vs. defective):

Just something to think about. They're apparently not quite as bulletproof as we might like to think.

ANOTHER edit: adding dustyb's grenaded manual:

Thread: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post93810

dustyb adds this caveat:
    "This car has been used and abused. With normal driving and maintenance this should never happen. I didn't do my first trans oil change until about 116K miles"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-22-2021),Fummins (02-22-2021)