Page 1 of 203 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap used Mirages you've seen for sale?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Cheap used Mirages you've seen for sale?

The Mirage has been out for over a year now (in North America at least). You're bound to start seeing them for sale, and as time goes on that price is going to keep going down. There are already some very reasonably priced ones out there. So, have you seen any cheap used Mirages for sale?

Please post up images here on MF vs linking them as these ads will undoubtedly go down after the vehicle is sold and it would be nice to keep the images.

I'll start first.

Here are a few I found these one on autotrader this morning:

Name:  3222f8fd45d6409b8c17f4e5f1fec469.jpg
Views: 19100
Size:  48.6 KB

Its a 2014 DE with CVT with 12k miles on it for $8,995. Its located in North Carolina.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...86484612&Log=0

Name:  75a63013be884f36b9708ae26c31f3ca.jpg
Views: 19265
Size:  41.7 KB

Here we have another plasma purple 2014 DE for $8,700. This one has a 5mt in it with only 6k miles on it. Its located in Arizona.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...85710391&Log=0

Name:  b995fecc4e8d4b6b883ac1248537d32d.jpg
Views: 18638
Size:  32.1 KB

So far though, this one takes the cake for cheapest Mirage I've seen. Its also a 2014 DE (but it has alloy wheels?). It has the CVT trans with 10k miles on it. Its also located in Arizona. For the low price of $7,200.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...87521548&Log=0
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-03-2014)

$7200 is crazy! I find that hard to believe - salvaged?

FYI, I have a thread going for Canadian prices. Just under $10k is the lowest I've seen so far. Used cars in the States always seem to be cheaper than here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, with only 10k miles that seems like a killer deal. The ad appears to be gone already. I didn't see any mention of it being a salvage title though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, happy I wasn't looking for resale value when I bought mine!
    If I were looking at buying one right now, used would be the way to go.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Used is always the way to go if you're looking to save money. New cars are legendary for their poor resale value the instant they're driven off the lot. I don't think the Mirage is any exception. Time will show if its better or worse than the average car. Just because there is one cheap one out there doesn't mean too much. The VAST majority that are for sale are 11-12k still.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 18873
Size:  36.2 KB

Here is an ES for sale for $10k in Oklahoma. Its a 5mt with 11k miles on it. Sounds like a deal to me.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...7568/overview/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 18873
Size:  36.2 KB

Here is an ES for sale for $10k in Oklahoma. Its a 5mt with 11k miles on it. Sounds like a deal to me.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...7568/overview/
    This is exactly why I bought a new 2017 Mirage! $9299 (10,153.73 OTD) delivered to my driveway from a Mitsubishi dealership 4 hours away.

I am pretty confident that I could buy a 2019 Mirage ES (manual) brand new for $11,000 TODAY. This is without negotiating. I could maybe get one for less? Keep in the mind the 2019 Mirage comes standard with A/C, cruise, backup camera, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, remote locks, power windows, etc.... The only thing I may consider a sacrifice is the plain steel wheels, but those would make excellent winter tires in the northern states. Adding new wheels is relatively cheap.

Why would someone pay $10,000 for a 2014-15 Mirage when you can get a brand new 2019 for about $1000 more???? Plus you would have the full warranties of 5 year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper, 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain, 5 year/unlimited mileage roadside assistance.

I may look at cars differently. I may be odd, & I will admit it! I buy cheap new beater cars! I buy slightly used other vehicles. I don't care how much my Mirage depreciates. I couldn't drive any other new car for 10+ years that would depreciate for less!

A used Mirage for $5,000-6,000 or less (depending on the mileage) is a good deal, too. I wouldn't pay nearly $10,000 for a used one! Likewise, I wouldn't pay more than $12,000 for a new one either. It's just how I look at cars, however.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-12-2019 at 02:13 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-12-2019),MetroMPG (06-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am pretty confident that I could buy a 2019 Mirage ES (manual) brand new for $11,000 TODAY.
    I keep checking the inventory of the dealer where you bought yours...and they have at least a few at that price point now...

Name:  tttt.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  58.0 KB

That dealership must be huge! They have over 90 Mirages in stock ...and almost 25% of them have manual transmissions!!!

My local dealers have 7 or 8 in stock on a good day...and usually 0% are manuals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I keep checking the inventory of the dealer where you bought yours...and they have at least a few at that price point now...

That dealership must be huge! They have over 90 Mirages in stock ...and almost 25% of them have manual transmissions!!!

My local dealers have 7 or 8 in stock on a good day...and usually 0% are manuals.
    I looked up Russ Darrow Mitsubishi near Milwaukee, & they have 1 Mirage in stock. Russ Darrow is a huge car dealership that carries many brands. This is a trend I see with those types of dealerships. Mitsubishi comes across as an afterthought for them.

If wasn't for White Bear Mitsubishi, I may not have bought a Mirage? When I start looking @ cars (cars.com, autotrader.com, etc…), I typically do a 250-mile search radius. For me, that covers Milwaukee, Green Bay, Chicago, & the Twin Cities area. I don't live near any of these cities, however.

I know White Bear was a Saturn dealership. When GM dropped Saturn, they took on Mitsubishi. I believe they advertise a lot. They get a lot of mileage out of their White Bear mascot, & my new car came with a small white bear buckled into the back seat.

With most anything in life, good leadership can make or break a business. I believe Richard Herod III was the manager of White Bear when I bought my Mirage. I got a promo email invite from him this week. He's now listed as the owner of White Bear. My first contact with White Bear was via email. Eventually, Richard emailed me. When I called his number, he picked up his own phone. During my brief conversation with him, I learned a few things. He was very upfront & honest. If someone would have told me that I would be buying a car from a dealership that I have never been to, I would have said no way!

Richard's access to Mirages goes way beyond what you & I can look up on car websites. As I was talking to him, I quickly realized that. He was able to tell me how many 2017 ES & SE manuals were in the entire country. For him, it was what color do you want? They were selling Mirages for $9500 during most of that summer. Those listings got me interested in the Mirage in the first place. I waited until October, because of daughters getting married. I wanted the dust to settle from that. When I finally decided that I still wanted one, they were sold out of manuals. That didn't bother him one bit! I really didn’t have the time to drive to the Twin Cities. Since I wasn’t trading a vehicle, I would have needed a ride to the Twin Cities. I really didn’t have that either. Richard erased all those concerns for me. I met my salesman in my driveway. He drove 8 hours that day to sell me a car. Another employee followed in his car to drive back with. They are willing to deliver vehicles to Wisconsin. White Bear was very accommodating!

I think the 2019 ES (manual) for under $11,000 is still a great deal! The few added features are nice ones! Plus, I prefer the manual climate controls on the ES. I also don't mind cheap steel wheels, because I tend to mix tires or use snow tires.

If someone really likes his or her 2014-15 Mirage, I can see updating in 2019. Then again, nicely used 2017-19 Mirages will be around for years to come, too. I typically wouldn’t recommend buying a new vehicle to anyone. A highly discounted Mirage, however, is the exception. From day one, you’ll know the history of your car.

Some complain about the depreciation of these cars, but it’s an $11,000 car. If a person buys a brand new $35,000 car, it’s going to depreciate a much greater amount over the same time period.

"Average transaction price for new car more than $35K in 2018, analysts say. Kelley Blue Book estimates the average transaction price for a new car purchase in the U.S. is currently going for $35,742, which is a 2 percent increase from 2017's figures at this time." Oct 2, 2018

Depreciation calculators are out there.

https://goodcalculators.com/car-depr...on-calculator/

Over ten years of ownership, a $35,000 car will depreciate $29,295.58. It depreciates $8750 the first year!

An $11,000 Mirage would depreciate $9,207.18 over those same 10 years. Yeah, it may not be worth much any more, but you didn’t pay much to begin with. Over 10 years, you saved yourself $20,000 in just depreciation alone!

No car holds its value unless it is really something special or unique. If you want a small economy car, the Mirage is a good value. Most everyone on this forum already knows that I guess!
    Last edited by Mark; 06-15-2019 at 05:09 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-15-2019),Top_Fuel (06-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looking at these numbers, I'm expecting Consumer Reports to run a story about the Mirage losing up to FORTY FIVE PERCENT of its value in the first year. Of course, at the same time, saving few grand but losing 50k in warranty coverage could go either way.

Ah, the wonders of inexpensive cars.