Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Mirage Saved My Life!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I don't think you've ever disconnected locking connectors @DonHoot, they can be very difficult with bare hands, a crash isn't going to unlock a bunch of vital connectors.

I spent two days in ICU and they let me go...had a little blood on the brain and a lot of bangs and bruises. A few cuts too but nothing major. Still have a bit of a light headache but I'm alive.
    Gives new meaning to "surviving Christmas"! Does not sound fun, but glad to hear you're on the mend.

This is the second bad crash/write-off we've seen from a member who was otherwise OK.

Thread: car wiped out at 5600 miles

---

About the airbags: was that more of a side impact? (Photos look like it). The front bags aren't supposed to go off in a side crash. And if there was nobody sitting in the passenger seat, that may explain why the side bags didn't deploy on that side.

Or ... it's possible there was a defect.

Some light reading: http://www.theairbagblog.com/my-airb...at-went-wrong/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will have to agree with metro on front+side impact.

Glad you're okay.
    Glad to see the cabin is intact.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad that you're fine. The bent stick shows the force you hit it with.
    In fact, the cabin resisted perfectly. Wonder whether some airbag should have deployed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wonder what the OP hit, how fast, etc. ...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, that is quite the mangled car. I'm very happy to hear you're okay and doing well. I'm going to have to agree with Ares, the cabin being that intact is impressive.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Glad you're ok and I feel a little safer now.
    As far as airbags go, there are many factors governing their deployment. They may not go off if they will hurt you more than the crash but I would ask Mitsu about it if you're concerned.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion210 View Post
    I don't think you've ever disconnected locking connectors @DonHoot, they can be very difficult with bare hands, a crash isn't going to unlock a bunch of vital connectors.
    I've worked in a collision repair shop for five years. A hard crash can do a lot of things to wiring, including severing the wires from the force of impact. The wires will actually "tear" in the middle of the wire not unplugging connectors,

Anyhow, if there was no passenger the passenger airbag would have been disabled.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Wow! Glad you made it out in one piece. Yes, interior looks good, like the cage held up and everything else took the impact. It is puzzling about the airbags. Mirages did well on direct head-ons, but not partial head-ons.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wanted to give you all an update...

Car is totaled, someone hit me. I don't remember anything, nothing, nada, zilch. That's a good thing and a bad thing.

I am mending..left wrist is still banged up and hurts to move and my right side is still tender and sore.

I will be contacting an attorney to look into the airbag issue but as an attorney friend of mine said and I quote, "your not broken, maimed or dead, if you were your kids would be multi-millionaires. You had nothing going into this but you have your life!." He said that Mitsubishi would bury a lawyer in paperwork for years and I would get nothing.

So that's where I'm at. I am driving another car and sorry to say it's not a Mirage. I test drove one and felt very strange in it, too spooky...PTSD? No clue..

Thanks for all the good wishes and support! Happy New Year to all and best wishes!