Thread: Front Brakes rotors and pads removal and lubrication

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Front Brakes rotors and pads removal and lubrication

Note, if your getting under a vehicle always use jack stands, and even if your not its best to use them, if you don't have any place your tire/wheel under the car just in case.

After reading about uneven wear on the front pads I decided to lubricate my front caliper pins and pad guides to try and prevent this from happening to my mirage down the line and get loads of miles from my pads.

1) Loosen all lug nuts while car is on the ground
    2) Jack and support cars weight with jack stand
    3) Remove tire

4) Located these two 14MM bolts that retain the caliper to the caliper anchor.

Name:  2-8-15 376.jpg
Views: 7123
Size:  87.8 KB

5) Break loose upper and lower 14MM bolts *break loose both before unbolting

These spin counter clock wise of course, and if your facing the caliper from different angles its easy to mix it up, verify with your ratchet/wrench that your going counter clock wise. I used a 3/8 ratchet 6 PT 14MM, a 3'' extension would be nice for the upper bolts because the brake line needs to me pushed aside to allow the socket to fit. In the above picture you can see the brake line tightly against the socket.

Name:  2-8-15 378.jpg
Views: 6621
Size:  88.8 KB

Picture of lower bolt being broken loose

Name:  2-8-15 379.jpg
Views: 6520
Size:  89.0 KB

This is what my lower bolt looked like, awful! Already had some salt or corrosion get into the threads. Unfortunately you don't want to use anti seize here, I used what I used for the pins "Silglyde". Hopefully this will stop further corrosion and hassle.

6) Remove caliper anchor bolts and wiggle the caliper off carefully. Secure caliper to the top of the front strut assemble so it does not dangle from the brake line. Note. Put caliper anchor bolts on a clean surface, they are greasy dirt magnets and you don't want dirt on them.

7) Remove the rotor, if your lucky it will slide off, there is threaded holes to put a long 10MM bolt to help push the rotor off the hub, my passenger came off easily, drive required me to remove the rear pad and push/pull from the rear of the rotor.

8) remove rear pad, the front pad that is clipped to the caliper does not require lubrication as this is a floating caliper.

Name:  2-8-15 383.jpg
Views: 6536
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  2-8-15 381.jpg
Views: 6487
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  2-8-15 384.jpg
Views: 6544
Size:  85.6 KB

Lubricate the rear pad slides with high temperature lubricant, I use high temp permatex anti seize.
    Name:  2-8-15 389.jpg
Views: 6449
Size:  87.8 KB

There is upper and lower brake pad slides.

Name:  2-8-15 390.jpg
Views: 6758
Size:  94.1 KB

I also add anti seize to the backs of my brake pads, it never hurts. I also put anti seize on the hub face behind the rotor, and on the front face of the rotor that contacts the wheel (don't put on shiny part of rotor)

Name:  2-8-15 392.jpg
Views: 6400
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  2-8-15 394.jpg
Views: 6636
Size:  91.9 KB

Using the caliper anchor bolt lubricant of your choice (Mine being silgylde) use the caliper anchor bolts in and out of the caliper anchor while applying a small amount of lubricant. When the bolts slide in and out smoothly and you can remove a bolt and have a little glob of grease at the end you've got plenty. Too much grease is bad and can cause difficulty installing the bolts due to the hydraulic pressure.

Make sure your rubber boots are still on and didn't come off, this happened with my driver side.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (10-17-2020),kerc (08-30-2015),laceygirl (08-31-2015),MetroMPG (02-09-2015),Mr. Mits (06-14-2022),stecoop (12-13-2020),Teasmade (02-09-2015)