View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 67 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    You even get to convert your spelling. lol. liter is US spelling -- elsewhere it is litre.
    Don't forget to add tires to the spelling conversion. Or is it tyres?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (01-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Don't forget to add tires to the spelling conversion. Or is it tyres?
    what colour?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm American, and even I agree our measurement systems are strange. Metric is so much more straightforward. The hard part is getting used to eyeballing in metric, since I'm so used to the US system.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Kineo (02-07-2016)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Reading how this thread has degraded into a measurement technique debate has convinced me to come to this forum much less frequently.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm going to have to agree with Old Mech. Guys, lets get back on topic please.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (01-04-2016),BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT (01-04-2016),El Kapitan (01-04-2016),Teasmade (01-07-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wrote Mitsubishi Canada on their web-contact form. I didn't receive a reply, but when I wrote again they sent me this (must have got lost in the ether or sent to a spam filter or something) response below.

In any case, I say - "you have a factory defect", and they reply with "that's an adjustment, and only in the first year" Obviously, it isn't an adjustment as the part is out of spec from the factory, and I am within the year! I am not at all pleased with this response.

Mitsubishi says . . .
    -
    Dear XXX,

Thank you for contacting Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, inc. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to our customer's questions and comments.

Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada does not cover the cost of an alignment unless the vehicle is within 1 year and 20000 km. Outside of those date parameters, please be advised that an alignment is considered an maintenance item.

We trust this information has been of assistance.

Thank you for contacting Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, inc.

My original email:

Comments: Greetings,

As you are likely aware, there is a known issue with the rear wheel alignment of the Mitsubishi Mirage which may affect vehicle stability and safety. My Mirage is no exception, and the dealer recently told me my rear alignment is out of the acceptable specification range. I would like to have this fixed under warranty, but understand that most of the rear axles are also out of specifications.

Please advise on who/where I should write to have this resolved. Ideally, I would like to have a new axle installed when a new axle is redesigned to be either more precisely aligned, or that allows the alignment to be adjusted. Ultimately, though, I just want a safe and efficient wheel alignment, in whatever way your mechanics and engineers can make that happen.

I will say, that other than this concern, and the thin paint, I have been pleased with the vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Bummer getting the runaound.

What's your next step?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Bummer getting the runaound.

What's your next step?
    I replied saying I wasn't satisfied, it hasn't been a year or 20,000km, it is a known issue that affects stability/safety and that it is a factory defect. The service manager at me dealer was copied on the emails as well, and I was told he would get back to me as well.

Suggesting I should be responsible for adjusting a defective and non-adjustable part seems absurd. Maybe it was just an honest mistake. We shall see, and of course I'll keep you posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I replied saying I wasn't satisfied, it hasn't been a year or 20,000km, it is a known issue that affects stability/safety and that it is a factory defect. The service manager at me dealer was copied on the emails as well, and I was told he would get back to me as well.

Suggesting I should be responsible for adjusting a defective and non-adjustable part seems absurd. Maybe it was just an honest mistake. We shall see, and of course I'll keep you posted.
    The response seems to be from someone who does not know that the rear alignment is not adjustable. Your original email only made a short mention of this fact, which can be easily looked over. Might I suggest a new email stating outright that the rear alignment is not adjustable, but the rear alignment is out of spec.

My concern is here in Texas we occasionally get roads with a bit of ice on them. A miss adjusted rear axle can cause control issues if you are driving and one side of the tires hit ice while the miss adjusted side does not. This can cause the car to pull one way, which is a bad thing, especially on ice. I really need to talk to my local dealership about this and show them the horrific wear on the one rear tire.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (01-09-2016)

Please do.

FYI, I have read that the default corporate response when using the "contact us" channel about a problem is deny, deny, deny. Keep at it.

Some related reading:
    Complaining To Your Car's Manufacturer Is A Waste Of Time

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (01-09-2016)