Thread: New owner

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New owner

Hey all!

New owner here of a 2015 Mirage DE

Purchased it about a month back, but didn't find this forum until a few days ago, but very glad to have found it...

I have always been an old German car guy, first car being a 1988 Mercedes-Benz 300E followed by a 1980 Mercedes-Benz 240 Diesel, 1970 MB 220 Diesel and then purchasing another 300E back in 2009 that was my trusty steed until I sold her last year for a 1993 Ford Explorer, which was a blast because I was always taking her on off road trails climbing and bouncing all over the place haha... I had the Explorer for a year and it gave me a full years worth of reliable and trouble free service until just recently when the transmission was starting to slip, getting worse and worse, I called multiple trans shops only to be told the service starts at $2500, an amount (being a college student and working part time) I couldn't afford... I was worried that if the trans finally gave out, the car would sit on the driveway and I would be out of a car.

Rewind to the year prior right before I sold my Mercedes 300E, I went shopping around for small encono cars because I plan to move to Alaska once I finish school and thought it'd be better to get something new... I went to Ford, Nissian, Mitsubishi, Toyota and Honda ect... I remember liking the Mirage saying "I could see myself driving this" but wasn't ready to buy and wasn't sure if I was going to period, so bought the Explorer and drove it for the year which brings us to the present... The trans was getting worse and I was up in arms of what I should do, try and fix it? Go for a used car? new? I was all over the place. The a/c in the Explorer and ALL my previous cars listed did not work, nor had they ever worked... The Explorer also had a major oil leak, needed to shocks front and back and also had a surge at idle.. I thought to myself "if I fix the trans I still gotta fix all those other things..." so coming home one night from school, passing by the Mitsubishi dealer I made the decision to go by and see what I could get. It's funny because I liked the Mirage and some other cars, but the Mirage, for some odd reason stuck out to me... I suppose I could have shopped around but I liked the Mirage.

This was my first new car buying experience mind you so I went in and they ran some numbers I was pleased with the outcome, test drove the DE, really really liked it, worked out a decent deal and the rest is history! I mention all the previous history above because I was never into Japanese cars at all, always into German.. would have never thought I would buy if anything a Mitsubishi, but I really enjoy this car a lot and being the 6'2 guy that I am, fit pretty well in it and have a blast driving it. I've never had a new car before, always older used cars and while they were great cars, they always had some issue, something could be fixed or something wasn't working (especially the a/c) and I lived in the desert most of my driving years and summers of 115 degrees with no air conditioning was brutal but I just accepted it as "this is what I got"... But having a NEW car where EVERYTHING works, I can turn on the a/c and for the first time in my car owning history and ice cold air comes out the vents... I LOVE it.

It's funny because the reviews on it are usually bad and people knock at it, but honestly, this is seriously a Bentley to me, to have a nice comfortable ride and have everything work, with a/c!! so it has some body roll and so it doesn't have the same body lines as a Tesla, put them in a 40 year old Mercedes 4sp Diesel that has 45hp and enough engine noise to be heard from on Mars or a car with no a/c in 115 degree heat and they'll start talking real positive about the Mirage. Sorry for the super long introduction but there was a whole back story with buying my Mirage haha Any who, glad to be here and hope to be a very active member on this site!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jdlca For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-10-2016),Eggman (03-10-2016),mitsumi (03-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Welcome to the forum and put some pictures in your "garage" when you have a chance

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Congratulations and welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the history - it is great to get a car you really love to drive and love to have, huh? Congratulations!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Welcome aboard. I am a recovering vintage German car guy myself, and also owned most of what you list here.

My girlfriend's 'weekend car' is a 1992 M-B 400E. Whole lotta fun, that one!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome,
    Ex German guy myself. Selection was limited to older model VW bugs tho. Lol Several as a matter of fact. Still have a 68 & 69.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site. Congrats on the Mirage, and great intro!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the Welcome's and kind words! So cool to know there are some other Deutsche auto enthusiasts here too.. Nice Cobrajet yeah those 400E's with the 8 cylinders are a blast and Car nut that's awesome, I was actually thinking about at 73 Super beetle as well before I bought the mirage, I really love them because they're so simple. Here are some pics of the new ride, recently just took her out on a drive to the Mojave which was awesome, just cruising and taking in the vast open desert.

Sorry for the pics rotated wrong -_-

Name:  IMG_6841.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  89.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_7127.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  92.2 KB
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  89.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6612.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  96.0 KB(Previous ride)
    Name:  desert.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  92.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jdlca For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-10-2016)

Welcome, Jdlca!

Interesting intro. I guess I count as a recovering German car nut myself: owned a series of MK1 Rabbits (Golfs to many of our other members)... six in a row. Wonderful little cars to work on... so logically put together.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    owned a series of MK1 Rabbits (Golfs to many of our other members)... six in a row. Wonderful little cars to work on... so logically put together.
    Successor to the Beetle, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)