Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Heater for 2014 Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Engine Block Heater for 2014 Mirage?

Has anyone installed a block heater yet? I wonder if there is a freeze plug location, or else I'll try a stick on pad style. I've noticed the CTV doesn't upshift very far until the coolant reaches at least 120F, and doesn't turn the gas off coasting until about 180F. It warms up faster with the passenger compartment heater turned off.

UPDATE: Mitsu block heater part number & details posted in post #19

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sewellja For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (11-25-2017),MetroMPG (12-11-2013)

I was wondering about this too. Did you check with the dealer if they have a part number?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hmmm ... reminds me back in time with diesel engines that needs warming up prior to starting hahahahaha ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sewellja View Post
    Has anyone installed a block heater yet? I wonder if there is a freeze plug location, or else I'll try a stick on pad style. I've noticed the CTV doesn't upshift very far until the coolant reaches at least 120F, and doesn't turn the gas off coasting until about 180F. It warms up faster with the passenger compartment heater turned off.
    coasting and the ice shutsdown???
    did not know this was possible ? the start stop system would only work when you come to a standstill was my understanding

coasting and the ice shutsdown???
    I think sewellja is referring to DFCO (deceleration fuel cut-off), where fuel injectors shut off when you release the accelerator (above a certain engine RPM).

--

Also, I had a look at the Mitsu Canada web site, and there's no block heater listed as either standard or optional equipment.

I checked the Canadian web sites for the Chevy Spark and Nissan Versa base, and they both come with a block heater as standard equipment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I think sewellja is referring to DFCO (deceleration fuel cut-off), where fuel injectors shut off when you release the accelerator (above a certain engine RPM).

--

Also, I had a look at the Mitsu Canada web site, and there's no block heater listed as either standard or optional equipment.

I checked the Canadian web sites for the Chevy Spark and Nissan Versa base, and they both come with a block heater as standard equipment.
    Looks like an oversight on Mitsubishi's part to not offer this. Every car sold in Winnipeg comes with one (though most add it as an "option" and charge an extra $200 or so). I once spent a long time looking for the plug on a car I bought in the States - not realizing that it wasn't something standard on every car!

When it gets really cold, a block heater is essential to get the car running. At -40, nothing starts, the oil is thick and the battery is weak. With a block heater the car will start, warm up faster, and it is easier on the engine, I am told, and it saves fuel as the engine wastes a bunch when it is cold (you can smell it in the frosty air most mornings around here).

Should be a simple thing to retrofit, though. I'd be interested in knowing which works best/is easy to install (I once used a dipstick heater which worked ok but was a huge hassle).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'd be pretty surprised if Mitsu didn't have a block heater as an optional part... even if its not listed.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi, ive purchased a new Mirage today, and ive talked to the dealer about the block heater, he says that Mitsu has not build a block heater for this engine yet but as soon as they become available they will call me and install it at no extra cost!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Edlupp For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-16-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sewellja View Post
    At what temperature outside does your CVT not shift up?

Hi Edlupp...

Please keep us posted on your block heater. Hopefully they get you one before winter runs out!

Welcome to the forum.