Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Darin's test drive review notes: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan CVT

I can't say for sure - but would guess that the sedan is quieter overall, if only because noise at the back of the car is more insulated by the trunk compartment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (11-04-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    in the rear of my 2014, when the roads are wet, so much road noise comes in from the rear doors that it sounds like the rear windows are cracked.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Dynamat!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

miscellaneous final thoughts

Name:  mall-side.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  59.7 KB

Turbo whine!

The CVT is funny: when coming to a stop at low speeds with no other sound competition, you can sometimes hear a very faint "falling" whine from the trans -- similar, but even quieter than the sound some hybrids make under regen. It also hilariously sounds like a big Cummins turbo spooling down, at a fraction of the volume.

Smooth cruise

Tapping up or down to change speed is nicely programmed - probably the smoothest of any car I've driven.

Needs a center arm rest

Silly that the top spec car still doesn't have one. Mitsu's PR rep says it's "on their wish list".

ONE dimmer to rule them all!

It bugs me that in some cars with infotainment screens in the center stack, dimming the instrument cluster lights doesn't also dim the screen -- it's a separate setting.

Speaking of infotainment, I hate screens in cars

I hate how much attention it requires to change settings. Knobs and buttons are so much easier & safer.

Picky styling critique: headlights should not be bigger than wheels

Name:  g4-ratio.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  37.9 KB

The previous gen Chevy Spark was guilty of this too: a car's wheels should not look smaller than its headlight assembly! From some angles, the G4's wheel:headlight ratio is awful. And this car had the 15 inch wheels - 14's are standard, and this issue is even more pronounced.

Baby got back!(up camera)

Name:  back-up-cam.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  89.5 KB

This just reveals how old my personal fleet is: the G4 was the first car I've driven with a big, colour back-up camera. (I once drove one with a small, mono one, but it was nearly useless.)

I noticed how absorbed I could get using the screen. Video-gamey? Hard to explain, but when I would look up afterward, it felt like snapping back to reality. The screen completely saps my wider awareness. Which I think means Nissan's 360-degree system is probably the best way to go.

The camera is fantastic for precision, tight quarters parking. Sucks getting used to it, then it becoming useless when the lens gets wet (rain) or if the lighting is bad.

Rear seat room

It really was startlingly roomy in the back seat, with room to actually stretch out (feet under the seat).

Name:  tsl-w-rear-3-4.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  68.3 KB

Final thoughts...

The changes made to the 2017 in steering, handling & NVH are a noticeable improvement over the 2014/15 car. But really the 2014 model should have started out this way.

It was interesting to spend time with the CVT -- the transmission that the vast majority of buyers choose. But I was happy to go back to my stick shift; the automatic just saps too much driving engagement for my liking.

Then again, the CVT makes for a surprisingly calm & quiet driving experience, if you're just toodling around. (It actually encourages toodling... if you push it, the engine does get loud and droney.)

Lastly, I think Mitsu should have priced the base model sedan to undercut the Versa sedan (America's perennial best-selling subcompact car, and also the least expensive MSRP.) I realize Mirages have almost permanent manufacturer rebates on the hood, but I think they're missing a marketing opportunity by not simply dropping the MSRP to an eye-popping number.

This top spec G4 was $19,498 CAD including delivery, not including taxes/registration. If there's no current factory cash on the hood, that becomes over $22k out the door after taxes here. To me that doesn't make sense -- the Mirage is a great value proposition with impressive total cost of ownership, but not with all the bells & whistles.

Name:  tsl-yellow-front-3-4.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  67.5 KB

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-04-2016),Daox (11-04-2016),Eggman (11-04-2016),El Kapitan (11-05-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great review and feedback. Thanks Darin!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Darin,

do you know if the new 2017 line has parts that can only be purchased from the dealer? I can't seem to find Canadian tire stores that carry the size tire that comes with the hatchback. Are all the parts available only at the dealer, like consumables like brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, air filters, ect, ect??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhaw View Post
    Darin,

do you know if the new 2017 line has parts that can only be purchased from the dealer? I can't seem to find Canadian tire stores that carry the size tire that comes with the hatchback. Are all the parts available only at the dealer, like consumables like brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, air filters, ect, ect??
    they will be available. brake pads rotor are same as 2014 2015 mirage so you can get those after market.

Regard to Armrest, it is an option $150 USD that you can install and it is OEM. Part of accessories catalog

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
    they will be available. brake pads rotor are same as 2014 2015 mirage so you can get those after market.
    I'm not so sure of that. I recall the 2017 got bigger brakes.

Mirage brake history (factory revisions/changes)

Official 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage changes, specifications, details, pricing

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (11-07-2016),inuvik (11-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by kevhaw View Post
    do you know if the new 2017 line has parts that can only be purchased from the dealer? I can't seem to find Canadian tire stores that carry the size tire that comes with the hatchback.
    The tires are a special case - they're an oddball size for the North American market. The Mirage is the only new car that uses that tire size, so aftermarket tire suppliers don't stock much if anything. Many people when changing tires are going with a slightly different but more readily available size.

Other items (plugs, filters, etc) won't have the same problem.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The tires are a special case - they're an oddball size for the North American market. The Mirage is the only new car that uses that tire size, so aftermarket tire suppliers don't stock much if anything. Many people when changing tires are going with a slightly different but more readily available size.

Other items (plugs, filters, etc) won't have the same problem.
    Is the oil a special Mitsubishi deal too? 0-20W seems like an oddball thing too. I take it the car doesn't get serviced as often as regular cars?