Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HVAC heat blows warm/hot on drivers side, cool/cold passenger side (warranty issue)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Amazon sells them cheaply for smart phones. My father in law has one, I'll ask him tonight to use it.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Amazon sells them cheaply for smart phones. My father in law has one, I'll ask him tonight to use it.
    yup, $36 for a well reviewed borescope from amazon - not bad
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,105 Posts
    I also re-tested my air vent temperature. This time I used my digital multimeter. It has a k-type thermocouple temperature sensor. This allowed me to measure the actual air temperature, not just the plastic vent temperature.

Attachment 10577

For reference, the ambient temperature was 25°F, and the coolant was about 170°F.

Here are the readings I got:

125 - 98 - 89 - 79

Attachment 10576
    Keep in mind that this is "automatic climate control". It is not supposed to freeze you to death in the summer or roast you alive in the winter. It is supposed to get the interior of the car to the preset temperature...and keep it there.

If you have the climate control set to 89 degrees, then once the temperature sensor reads 90 degrees it will probably start backing the heat off. I assume the temp inside the car is not getting to 89. But maybe the climate control module THINKS the temperature is higher than it is and is dialing the heat back, well...automatically?

Defective temperature sensor? Is it being blocked? The sensor is in the HVAC control unit, right? I'd try switching the controls out. And I would also try to measure the interior temperature of the car.

I set mine to 89 today, put all the air out the center vents, and did an impromptu check of the relative warmth of the air coming out. Left, center-left, and center-right were pretty darned toasty. Right was quite a bit cooler, but still what I would call "hot". Ambient outside temperature was about 37F.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-22-2017),Wayne (12-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Keep in mind that this is "automatic climate control". It is not supposed to freeze you to death in the summer or roast you alive in the winter. It is supposed to get the interior of the car to the preset temperature...and keep it there.

If you have the climate control set to 89 degrees, then once the temperature sensor reads 90 degrees it will probably start backing the heat off. I assume the temp inside the car is not getting to 89. But maybe the climate control module THINKS the temperature is higher than it is and is dialing the heat back, well...automatically?

Defective temperature sensor? Is it being blocked? The sensor is in the HVAC control unit, right? I'd try switching the controls out. And I would also try to measure the interior temperature of the car.

I set mine to 89 today, put all the air out the center vents, and did an impromptu check of the relative warmth of the air coming out. Left, center-left, and center-right were pretty darned toasty. Right was quite a bit cooler, but still what I would call "hot". Ambient outside temperature was about 37F.
    Perhaps. The system does not seem to know that there is a problem. Fan goes to full speed before heater temp is high enough. Fan stays on full speed blowing cold air.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    Perhaps. The system does not seem to know that there is a problem. Fan goes to full speed before heater temp is high enough. Fan stays on full speed blowing cold air.
    Do you have it on 'AUTO'? I assume the AC been manually switched off (no snowflake icon)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you have it on 'AUTO'? I assume the AC been manually switched off (no snowflake icon)?
    Yes, set to AUTO. When you set it to 89, the snowflake goes off whether it is AUTO or NAUTO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,485 Posts
    I set mine to 89 today...and did an impromptu check of the relative warmth of the air coming out.
    Left, center-left, and center-right were pretty darned toasty.
    Right was quite a bit cooler, but still what I would call "hot".
    That's how I would describe mine. Unless you use a temperature probe, it's not obvious how much cooler the right vent is.

I'm sure there's a logical reason why the right vent isn't as hot as the left...but I'm not willing to pull my dash apart to satisfy my curiosity. I'll wait for Doax to do that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (12-22-2017),Daox (12-22-2017),MetroMPG (12-22-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe this sensor is out of whack

Name:  dNKUUhy.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  27.6 KB

but that still doesn't explain the temperature variation across the dash

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-22-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm sure there's a logical reason why the right vent isn't as hot as the left...but I'm not willing to pull my dash apart to satisfy my curiosity. I'll wait for Doax to do that.
    LOL, gee thanks.

I completely agree though, there has to be a reason for it. Its just a matter of time before we figure it out.

I stopped by my in laws last night and picked up the USB camera from my father in law. I didn't have a chance to give it a go yet, but soon!

Its a pretty simple and extremely cheap device. I think he paid $12 off amazon for this thing. You just download one of many apps, start it up, plug the camera in and your phone becomes the screen for the camera. Super easy to use. It also has a light on the end of it so you can see in the dark.

Name:  IMG_20171222_081229498.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  81.4 KB
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

spork (12-25-2017),Top_Fuel (12-22-2017),Wayne (12-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    LOL, gee thanks.

I completely agree though, there has to be a reason for it. Its just a matter of time before we figure it out.

I stopped by my in laws last night and picked up the USB camera from my father in law. I didn't have a chance to give it a go yet, but soon!

Its a pretty simple and extremely cheap device. I think he paid $12 off amazon for this thing. You just download one of many apps, start it up, plug the camera in and your phone becomes the screen for the camera. Super easy to use. It also has a light on the end of it so you can see in the dark.

Name:  IMG_20171222_081229498.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  81.4 KB
    looking forward to the colonoscopy report

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-22-2017)