Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Australia: Mirage LS 1.2L CVT First Impressions

Yes, really appreciate the first-hand, real world perspective.

Sounds like there could be an aftermarket for a beefier anti-roll bar for the car. That way you could keep the plush springs for absorbing the head-on bumps, but reduce body lean in cornering, no? (I'll freely admit I'm no suspension expert.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    May replace the anti-rollbar bushes with some harder ones might help the bar work better. And maybe add a bar to the rear suspension to compliment the front bar.
    Last edited by jamiec; 03-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I was just going through the UK specs (adding to them) and I could have sworn they spec out a rear bar... I don't exactly recall the AU version stating weather it had one or not.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    No rear bar is mentioned in the Aussie specs, and it is too windy outside at the moment to crawl under and take a look

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS (Australia) 1.2 automatic: 34.8 mpg (US) ... 14.8 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Just to keep the updates going, I finally got to take this for a decent drive through some twisty hills. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it pulled up the hills, even overtaking a couple of times. The "B" option on the CVT adds a very nice amount of engine braking on long descents saving the brakes from being cooked off!

One really weird thing I noticed, and have seen mentioned in one of the reviews, is the lack of self centering on corners. It behaves like "normal" at low speeds around town where, if you lift your hands off the wheel, it will come back to centre. On the open road at 100kmh I took my hands off the wheel and was very surprised to see that it kept on going around the corner. I then proceeded to drive around the next few bends at the speed limit hands free after setting up the turn. I haven't yet decided how I really feel about that!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS (Australia) 1.2 automatic: 34.8 mpg (US) ... 14.8 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp)

That is really odd!

I can tell you right now I don't think I'd like it. It just doesn't make sense at all to require the driver to use 2 different steering techniques depending on road speed (or suspension load, or whatever is the determining factor). Bit of a safety issue even?

I wonder if it's because of assist. If it were my car, I'd pull the electric power steering fuse and see if it changes anything on those same higher speed turns.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Yeah, I would like someone else to confirm if theirs behaves this way or not. It isn't as horrible as I made it sound, but it definitely was strange. Not sure about the safety factor as I was always taught to steer into and out of a corner so I still steer pretty much the same way.

Ant... I posted a dedicated thread on this question which may get some more eyeballs/replies...

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ring-to-be-odd

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AntInOz View Post
    Things missing: Light in hatch compartment: I didn't notice this during the test drive or looking at specs. Really threw me when I got home, popped the hatch and couldn't see my bags in the boot. A minor thing but probably my only real annoyance so far.
    Noted that the US Mirage options include:

LED Illumination Package adds: Floor LED illumination (blue); console LED illumination (blue); cargo area LED illumination (white).
    http://media.mitsubishicars.com/chan...0-6de4a310f312

Which suggests the cars on this side of the ditch won't have standard cargo lighting either.