Thread: Australia: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage sedan review/first drive (CarsGuide.com.au)

Australia: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage sedan review/first drive (CarsGuide.com.au)

Name:  carsguide-logo.png
Views: 290
Size:  8.8 KB

Name:  mitsubishi_mirage_sedan_australia_2014.ddyjs4bz52goo0cw04o0kg4gs.a5fuq7lrqzkgc0ccw4ss08gso.th.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  19.1 KB

A very positive review of the Mirage sedan which has just gone on sale down under. In his "driving" notes the writer declares...

Let me come straight to the point. This car is one of the biggest surprises of the year for me.
    This review has me feeling VERY positive that Mitsu is taking constructuve criticism of the hatchback to heart and making engineering changes (noise, vibration, handling, CVT). HOPEFULLY these improvements find their way into the hatchback too.

I'm going to skip the usual pros & cons (you can go read the review for all those) and jump right to the design improvements vs. the hatch:

- smoother engine -- additional engine mount on top
    - refined CVT: "has a smaller torque converter, new ratios and new gear shift control calibration that also reduces the 'slip' sensation when accelerating"
    - extra noise deadening = quieter inside
    - handling... "Mitsubishi wisely revised the steering and suspension ... it drives a lot better than the hatch"

Translated: it's not just my imagination. Mitsubishi engineers have given the sedan a fairly comprehensive revision.
    Overall...

...this anonymous-looking $14,490 car is one of the best sedans money can buy.
    Read the full review: http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...st-drive-28911

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

CLARK (07-10-2014),jamiec (07-12-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo, that is great to hear! I can't imagine the changes won't transfer to the hatch. It makes sense to have more common parts as it lowers their cost.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Need to find out if sedan suspension works with the hatch.

The heavier sedan will need more dampening/stiffer springs - which may be what the original setup on the hatch should have been.

Yes, that would be very good to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It makes sense to have more common parts as it lowers their cost.
    "Fixing" the handling/steering also lowers some of the common criticism of the car.

I find it interesting that he doesn't make any fuss over the engine's power output. Such a cultural difference from the U.S., where reviewers would savage the car for lack of power, especially given the extra weight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

jamiec (07-12-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Curious to see what have been done to the steering so I could do it myself later

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)