Thread: new mirage owner from new zealand

Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

new mirage owner from new zealand

hi I am a mechanic of 44 years just bought a new mirage ls and read the comments with interest
    the most interesting is the electronic assist power steering.
    they have gone to this because it saves 1 mpg in fuel economy.
    it is not just the mirage that have gone to this but most of the other car manufacturers have gone with this option .
    the problem with a lack of self centering is a characteristic of this system and all the other manufacturers have the same problem.it seems that we just have to get use to it .the torque valve can be calibrated
    will be interested in any comments from other drivers and how they have found it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage gs 1,200.0 automatic: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lourie For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-04-2014)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum, I love the steering on this car and learned to do fun stuff with it, handy stuff like doing (or nothing at all) something that requires two hands like opening drink bottle, fasten my seatbelt, put on my shoes etc (sometimes in slow corner) knowing the car won't do anything weird anyway. I need to keep my hand on the wheel on my other car with conventional steering wheel.

I didn't know it saves 1 mpg, it's a lot!!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site lourie! Congrats on the new Mirage too.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Welcome to the forum, lourie!

Glad to have a mechanic around. Auto mechanic? Do you work for a dealer or are you independent?

Quote Originally Posted by lourie View Post
    the electronic assist power steering. [...] will be interested in any comments from other drivers and how they have found it.
    We have a couple of active discussions about the car's steering. I don't know if you've seen them:

Thread: Do you find the "self-centering" of your Mirage's steering to be odd?

Thread: Lubricant for steering?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome, and thanks for the update on the steering. I actually like the steering!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lourie View Post
    hi I am a mechanic of 44 years just bought a new mirage ls and read the comments with interest
    the most interesting is the electronic assist power steering.
    they have gone to this because it saves 1 mpg in fuel economy.
    it is not just the mirage that have gone to this but most of the other car manufacturers have gone with this option .
    the problem with a lack of self centering is a characteristic of this system and all the other manufacturers have the same problem.it seems that we just have to get use to it .the torque valve can be calibrated
    will be interested in any comments from other drivers and how they have found it.
    Hi lourie, and welcome here!
    Myself grew up in a mechanics shop in Oz, saw mainly english cars, a few Holdens and some imports. By age 14 was more or less working on my own. Never became a mechanic though, maybe sniffed too much hypoid oil..

foama