Thread: UK: Mitsubishi Mirage review (2013 onwards) - MSN Autos

UK: Mitsubishi Mirage review (2013 onwards) - MSN Autos

The Mirage recently launched in the UK, so we should expect to see a number of "first drive" reviews like this one in the coming days.

(Photo: Mitsubishi)

They drove the 1.2L 5-speed manual...

What they liked:

• class-leading efficiency
    • comfort
    • interior room
    • value
    • tight turning circle
    • perky engine, full of character
    • shift quality - more of a joy than a chore

What they didn't like:
    • styling from the 90's
    • noisy on the highway
    • refinement
    • bouncy ride
    • suspension not up to the task of enthusiastic driving
    • uncommunicative steering

Overall:

They say they like the high efficiency and low cost of ownership of the Mirage, but prefer the Kia Picanto's driving manners, styling and longer warranty.

Full review & more photos: http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/mitsu...w-2013-onwards

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I never really worry about handling issues too much. Aftermarket springs, sway bars and other things of that nature are cheap and can totally change how a car feels.

I also find it interesting that this car reviewer praises the shifting quality. I believe I've seen several others say they don't like it...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I've noticed polar opposite comments on the shift quality as well. This reviewer also liked it a lot: "manual transmission a treat to use" - UK: Mitsubishi Mirage (13 on) - Review (Parkers.co.uk)

AntIOz did not like the 5MT in the Mirage he test drove though!

Maybe they've continued improving things? Sometimes a different bushing material is all you need to change the feel of a manual.

My brother's got a manual Dodge Caliber, and it has a horrible plastic-y notchy feeling and sounding (click!clack!click!) shifter. I'm teaching my niece to drive it lately, so I've been using it a bit... and couldn't help thinking "this thing needs a bushing kit!"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)