Thread: DIY cheap removable partial grill block

Country
    United States
    Thanks

DIY cheap removable partial grill block

I did this in the parking lot of home depo so it's a "ruff draft".

I used foam pipe insulation for 1'' diameter pipe (I took several sizes out and 1'' was the biggest and seem to be the best). It was 1.95+tax for 6ft. I used about 2 1/2 for the one you see here, seeing how I only needed half I did it really fast knowing I'd have enough to make it over again a little cleaner.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Armacell-...1838/100565309

It comes with some self adhesive ends as well. I pealed them but not having experience I let them touch together on one of them and damaged the adhesive (still didn't come off at 70mph tested speeds).

I call it a "partial" because I am sure some air can squeeze by even though they fit tightly together. I also left a small air gap on the bottom right which I will cover on my next attempt.

I monitor my temperature currently with a obd2 elm bluetooth and torque app on a old android phone, I normally average 191-194 degrees F driving, it does the about the same warm up time before/after and no noticed difference in as of yet (its all the little things that add up). My highest temperature was 203 idling in traffic for over 15 minutes.

I'll try to get a few more pictures of making them and installing them soon, My goal was to block the grill using no major adhesives on the body work, no major drilling/screws into anything and not too much of an eye sore (I would like to find some black pipe insulation).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (03-27-2015),MetroMPG (01-17-2015)

How's it holding up? Still have all the foam pieces?

FYI, I'd block the upper slot before filling the lower area ones. Probably a slightly more aero efficient approach.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's holding up better than I expected, this is still the rough draft. Haven't tried to make a one with effort yet but I will soon. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4317
Size:  95.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for the update! Added to the list of modifications/customizations .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been thinking of how to mount a thin wood/flat piece of something to block the grill. Those foam can be the mount point for the flat cover...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    With things warming up, how is the grill block working out Alex?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I removed it a few weeks ago for the dealerships oil change, didn't want them to make any notes of my cars "modifications" even though they did change my tire pressure and told me it's dangerous to have my tires at 45 psi, I told them the last shop I had the snow tires installed at checked my tire pressure

I will wait until I get my torque app and android tablet set up to monitor engine temperature before reinstalling a fresh one, I might look into 3dplanes grill block as well, need to check with him on his as it looks very nice just curious how it is for removal.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Does anyone think this will work with a 2017. I know the bottom grill is the same but the 2017 has the honeycomb grill unlike the 2014-2016 models that have the thin slot style under the emblem. I prefer that style compared to the honeycomb grill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 40.7 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)

I suspect much of the 2017+ upper grille is already blocked from the factory, no?

Based on the size of the opening in the lower grille, I'd block the upper. (And also most of the lower for my type of driving & climate).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Nerdling (02-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdling View Post
    Does anyone think this will work with a 2017. I know the bottom grill is the same but the 2017 has the honeycomb grill unlike the 2014-2016 models that have the thin slot style under the emblem. I prefer that style compared to the honeycomb grill.
    Check out my garage for what I did last winter. I've been lazy this winter, even though I collected some more coroplast over the summer.

Basically, I zip-tied foam pipe insulation to the lower grill in such a way that I could zip-tye the coroplast to a flat, supported surface. I was hoping to wrap one piece all the way around the fake fog lights and maybe something for the upper grill this winter, but got distracted.

Last edited by Dark Magenta; 02-21-2020 at 07:27 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

Nerdling (02-26-2020)