Making a triumphant return to the North American marketplace, the all-new 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage 5-door sub-compact is the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid gasoline vehicle available in America.
With a manufacturer-estimated fuel economy of 40 mpg combined/37 mpg city/44 mpg highway (CVT-equipped model; pending EPA fuel mileage rating), the all-new Mirage is an affordable and stylish hatchback with best-in-class fuel efficiency.
The all-new Mirage provides eager acceleration in urban stop-and-go driving along with exemplary highway fuel economy. What's more, an ECO indicator illuminates to let the driver know when they are driving in a manner that allows for utmost fuel efficiency.
Standard safety features included at no cost on this fuel-sipping 5-door subcompact consist of
- a comprehensive seven (7) airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) including dual front air bags, dual front seat-mounted side-impact air bags, dual side-impact curtain air bags, and a driver's knee airbag;
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS);
- 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD); and Brake Assist.
- Hill Start Assist (HSA) is also standard on all continuously-variable transmission-equipped (CVT) models.
Active Stability Control (ASC) with Traction Control Logic (TCL) is also included on all models. The ASC/TCL helps stabilize the vehicle when it detects skidding and/or when the system detects a loss of traction on slippery road surfaces.
Mitsubishi Motors engineers have fortified the all-new Mirage 5-door with an additional level of driver and passenger protection (the Mirage has seating for 5) in the event of a collision by incorporating the most advanced form of Mitsubishi's RISE (Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution) impact-absorbing safety cell technology ever. The patented RISE system utilizes a body structure with an impact energy-absorbing front end along with an abundant use of high tensile steel in key areas throughout the platform.
Furthermore, the stylish exterior of the all-new 2014 Mirage was penned using computer-aided design (CAD) software to maximize the 5-door's aerodynamic efficiency for a low 0.28 coefficient of drag. This advanced design/emphasis on aerodynamic efficiency is clearly exhibited in the carefully sculpted corners of the rear bumper and the way the hood gently flows into the A-pillars.
To add a touch of vibrancy to Mirage's dynamic exterior styling, four fun and eye-catching colors will be available in addition to the traditional selection of White Solid, Black Mica, Silver Metallic, and Gray Mica.
Standard electric power steering (EPS) further aids the fuel efficiency cause while providing the driver with communicative steering feel as well as the sharpest turning radius (15.1 feet) in the class.
The entry-level Mitsubishi Mirage DE packs a long list of standard amenities. Among these features are
- tilt steering;
- automatic climate control;
- power windows with driver's side auto-up/down;
- power side mirrors;
- body-colored side mirrors, door handles and tailgate handle,
- a convenient 60/40 split folding rear seat;
- keyless entry with panic alarm;
- variable intermittent wipers;
- a sporty rear spoiler
- and a dynamic sounding 4 speaker 140-watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 with USB/iPod® input.
Every Mirage variant also features thoughtful interior design touches including ergonomically designed driver controls and instrument panel as well as upscale-looking rich high-gloss piano black trim for the center console.
An especially welcome interior design feature is the 60/40 split folding rear seat that allows for plentiful and easily accessed interior cargo volume.
The upmarket Mirage ES model features all of the welcome content on the DE while adding
- eye-catching 14-inch aluminum alloy wheels;
- front fog lamps;
- leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob;
- F.A.S.T. (Free-hand Advanced Security Transmitter)-Key passive entry;
- One-Touch Start/Stop (OSS) engine switch;
- steering wheel-mounted audio controls;
- cruise control
- and a Bluetooth® hands-free phone system.
Numerous amenity and accessory packages available include
- LED Interior Illumination,
- Rear Parking Assist,
- Navigation System
- and Exterior lower body kit and Chrome accent packages.
Powering the all-new Mirage is an extremely efficient 1.2-liter three-cylinder DOHC engine that features the latest version of Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control (MIVEC) variable valve-timing system that maximizes fuel efficiency and power output while greatly minimizing exhaust emissions. This engine produces 74 bhp and 74 lb.-ft. of torque. Consumers have a choice between a smooth-operating 5-speed manual and an advanced continuously-variable transmission (CVT) with Idle Neutral Logic.
Rounding out this hot hatchback's remarkable affordability and extreme efficiency is the additional peace of mind that comes with Mitsubishi Motors' impressive warranty:
10-years or 100,000-miles limited powertrain;
5-years or 60,000-miles limited new vehicle and 5-years/unlimited mileage roadside assistance.