Thread: Greets from Montreal, Canada

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Greets from Montreal, Canada

I'm currently looking at reducing my total fuel consumption and have been looking at the typical stable of fuel efficient cars (Yaris, Corolla, Civic, Mazda 3, Fiesta, etc...) and discovered the Mitsubishi. Looks to be EXACTLY what I need...

So I will patiently be waiting for it to hit the dealerships. I'd pre-order one, but need to make sure I like it in person.

Have a good day!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageMPG For This Useful Post:

RapidRick (09-01-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    howdy

Welcome to the forum!

You're officially the closest forum member to me. (I'm in eastern Ont. I just drove by Montreal last weekend on my way to a sailing regatta in Vermont).

What are you driving now? And if you like the Mirage, would you go for the manual or CVT?

PS: I like the username.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

You're officially the closest forum member to me. (I'm in eastern Ont. I just drove by Montreal last weekend on my way to a sailing regatta in Vermont).

What are you driving now? And if you like the Mirage, would you go for the manual or CVT?

PS: I like the username.
    Yeah, I drove by next to where you live a few weeks ago too. Was going to Watertown, NY. Beautiful surroundings...

We usually have 2 cars. One that can carry the whole family (6) and can pull our small trailer so we can go camping, and one for regular commuting, a more fuel efficient ride.

I sold my "fuel-efficient" car a few months ago. It was an automatic 1998 Toyota Corolla VE with 136Ks on it. I was very fuel conscious (to the point of being OCD) and determined that there was something wrong with the car since I consumed much more than it was supposed to, especially after all my tries at driving hyper conservatively. (It was a 15 yrs old car).

While I drove my Corolla, I had always wished for it to have been a manual car, so my next car will be manual. I also wanted the AC (we live in Canada, but some days in the summer stuck for hours in traffic in a boiling car is no fun).

I bought the ultragauge too to fine tune my driving and it helped a lot. Looked at Geo Metros too but it couldn't fit the bill for what I need. And now comes the Mirage!

I have been looking at 2005 Honda Civics (manual, 4 door, SE) and 2006 Corollas as a decent used car purchase. Even considering the Yaris. But the Mirage beats all those models hand down. I'm going to have to calculate the pros and cons money wise and MPG wise of getting the Mirage instead of a used Civic... If gas prices remain the same it's one thing, but if they increase by a large percentage, the savings margin gets bigger and bigger!

PS: My alias is a direct rip-off from yours, sorry.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you do mostly open highway or urban driving?

Quote Originally Posted by MirageMPG View Post
    Yeah, I drove by next to where you live a few weeks ago too. Was going to Watertown, NY. Beautiful surroundings...
    I hope you took the 1000 Islands Parkway from its eastern end (@ the 401) to the 1000 Islands Bridge & vise versa on the way home!

I have been looking at 2005 Honda Civics (manual, 4 door, SE) and 2006 Corollas as a decent used car purchase. Even considering the Yaris. But the Mirage beats all those models hand down. I'm going to have to calculate the pros and cons money wise and MPG wise of getting the Mirage instead of a used Civic...
    Unless you want the peace of mind of a warranty, I suspect the math will come out in favour of a used 5-speed Civic or Corolla. However, in 2-3 years, there will be used Mirages available as well!

As for fuel prices, despite reductions in consumption in North America and Europe, total global usage continues to climb due to consumption in Asia & India. So we can predict that prices aren't going anywhere but up.

EG: World Petroleum Consumption Hit Record High in 2012 despite US/Euro reductions -- http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post387604

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)