Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Test drove a 2014 Mirage DE manual transmission today - ordered one (U.S.)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Oh wow i missed this topic, think because i was in hawaii when this topic started. Congrats on your new car! Another manual user ;-) I don't get more than 20 km/liter out of the car, mostly because the speed I'm cruising is 120 km/hour or something around 70-75 miles/hour and Holland is a very windy country. But then again am very happy with 17-20 km/liter compared to 12-10 km/liter on my 13 years old Mitsubishi Galant.
    Welcome here and thanks for the info about scangauge, am looking into it maybe get one just for the fun ;-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    I got 48.5 miles to the gallon (at the pump), averaging almost 60 mph.
    That's decent! Coincidentally, it's almost exactly what my Firefly (Metro) 1.0L, 5MT got at that steady speed before I started modifying it.

I haven't figured out how to keep the MID mpgs for a whole tank yet, but I haven't really looked into it.
    I think the Mirage display may have 2 fuel economy gauges, "A" and "B". The "A" is a "segment" gauge that automatically resets after the car is parked for a while; the "B" gauge value is saved until you manually reset it, so you should be able to monitor tank results with it. At least that's my understanding of what Polkiuj said in post #3 of this thread: How accurate is Mirage's "average" fuel economy display? 2 members say "pessimistic"

plan to seal up more of the grille, but little bits at a time watching coolant temps as I go. I'll report back with my next tankful, and anything else that might happen.
    With freezing winter temperatures approaching here in northern North America, it's going to be tough to keep squeezing great MPG numbers out of any car. One thing I'd look into ASAP is a block/coolant heater (if you have some place to plug in).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    I got 48.5 miles to the gallon (at the pump), averaging almost 60 mph.
    Just noticed your result nicely confirms this test data:

From thread: Speed vs. mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd

The main differences being: you were fighting wind, but he was running the air conditioning.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    A ha and me being fighting wind AND running AC at 120 km/h, so really can't complain

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So a week after I bought the Mirage, my wife finally got a chance to drive it. She works 25 miles from home, and has a 98 saturn. She had been thinking about getting a new car early next year, but she was thinking she might like a used (2-3 year old) prius. When she got home from work that day we talked about cars. She likes the car alright. Pros are the price, mpg, warranty and its cute. Cons are the body roll (it was windy that day) and that it doesn't float down the road like her 2400 pound saturn. The rocking side to side of the body was so bad that it would have been a deal breaker for her, if it hadn't been for Ultra Racing's rear sway bar.

So she has decided to buy one, too. She will be taking over my car, and I'll be getting a blue DE manual. We have put deposits down at 2 dealerships, but no DE manual cars (without $$$$ in options piled on) have come into stock yet around here. And by "around here" I mean a 100 mile radius. The dealership that I expect to buy from is 90 miles away. Hopefully this week we'll become a 2 mirage family.

We'll be buying sway bars from Evan at NextGenTuning.com for each of our cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    that is pretty awesome. let us know how the bars feel once installed

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kalifornia For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (11-20-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, a two Mirage family. Sounds like you really love them!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

This is very interesting on many levels... especially that the stock suspension was a potential deal-breaker.

I sure hope Mitsu is listening to the constructive criticism.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It wasn't windy when I test drove the car, so I didn't know how it drove in a crosswind until after I bought it. I feel fortunate that there are parts available to tighten up the body roll. I truly enjoy driving the car without a sway bar, but I am looking forward to installing one. Maybe the 2015s will come with one from the factory.
    Last edited by fifteenwindow; 11-21-2013 at 11:30 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They keep teasing a ralliart model with upgraded suspension