Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternator delete with regen braking modification for better MPG

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    Just add a second battery in parallel which will keep your voltage up longer and the system will not engage the alternator as often since it is probably solely relying on voltage drop across the circuit.
    Unfortunately, this won't work. The energy used by the car has to come from somewhere. If the alternator is on, that is where it is coming from. If it is only partially charging the battery, you'd just be running around with a half dead battery. However, the same power would be used as the car still demands X amount of electrical energy. So, I'd have to charge half with the alternator and half with 110V. I'd rather just go 100% 110V and get the extra power savings.

I have heard of people using a 2nd battery and a large dc-dc converter to boost the voltage to above what the voltage regulator holds it at though. However, this adds weight, and you have to find room for another battery.

Alternatively you could add a voltage regulated boost/buck driver to trick the ECU by keeping your voltage constant across the circuit even as the capacity of your battery diminishes. You would still need to charge the system at home though as it wouldn't be charging the battery unless you flipped a switch to disable the voltage regulator...
    That is exactly what I am doing.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    This thread is a horrible idea...
    1) you are not deleting the alternator
    2) you are throwing in an extra battery, dead weight most of the time, for the tiny engine
    3) you are compromising the reliability of the car overall, making it more prone to get stranded on the long road trip

Is not worth it to go through all the troubles. The money you need to buy all the parts and extra battery, would've equal out the little 5% you save on gas. Anyhow, if you are gonna do it, go with a large bank of super capacitors might be a better bet than battery.

1) You are correct, it is a disabling mod.
    2) I am not throwing in an extra battery. The deep cycle has replaced my starting battery.
    3) This mod is extremely easy to undo as Eggman has already posted. To completely undo it you simply unplug the circuit and replace the fuse.

With current fuel prices (used $2.85 as that is the national average) this mod it will save ~$100 in the next 17k miles. In 100k miles it will save me around $600. If gas goes up, I save more. In SteveDMC's case, he would have saved $1250 in fuel by doing this mod right when he got the car. Is that worth it?

Who measures modifications only by how much money they save anyways? Do you calculate how much new tires, or springs, or LED lights, or a new radio or speakers save you in fuel? I do it because its fun and its my car and I like to make it mine by doing fun things.

If its not worth it to you, don't do it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-28-2018),MetroMPG (09-28-2018),TXmirageGUY (10-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    1) You are correct, it is a disabling mod.
    2) I am not throwing in an extra battery. The deep cycle has replaced my starting battery.
    3) This mod is extremely easy to undo as Eggman has already posted. To completely undo it you simply unplug the circuit and replace the fuse.

With current fuel prices (used $2.85 as that is the national average) this mod it will save ~$100 in the next 17k miles. In 100k miles it will save me around $600. If gas goes up, I save more. In SteveDMC's case, he would have saved $1250 in fuel by doing this mod right when he got the car. Is that worth it?

Who measures modifications only by how much money they save anyways? Do you calculate how much new tires, or springs, or LED lights, or a new radio or speakers save you in fuel? I do it because its fun and its my car and I like to make it mine by doing fun things.

If its not worth it to you, don't do it.
    You forgot to include the cost of replacing your car battery more frequently.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Dude, if you want to save money, buy slightly stiffer springs and lower it by 0.5 to 1 inch.
    Then go to home depot and buy those black rubber gardening grass fence (about 5-6" height), then just install it at the bottom of your front bumper.

These cheap aero mod alone would save you much more, and the fact that you have a better handling car, would be more fun to drive and you don't need to slow down during cornering.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Are you saying an engine that can breath better isn't going to be more efficient? Noisy exhausts aren't for everyone, but you will gain a few HP with a good exhaust system. Stock cars are build with exhausts designed to make the ride quiet. If you are willing to accept a louder exhaust, you get to feel like one of those stupid teenagers driving around in modified beaters and you get the added benefit of extra power.
    It's my understanding that an exhaust can be tuned for economy, performance, or some compromise of the two.

But that's another topic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Unfortunately, this won't work. The energy used by the car has to come from somewhere. If the alternator is on, that is where it is coming from. If it is only partially charging the battery, you'd just be running around with a half dead battery. However, the same power would be used as the car still demands X amount of electrical energy. So, I'd have to charge half with the alternator and half with 110V. I'd rather just go 100% 110V and get the extra power savings.
    In addition, I understand that most lead acid batteries are only 50% efficient at best - meaning you only get half of what you put in. Doubling the battery might set you back from the goal.

It's all good discussion here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    In addition, I understand that most lead acid batteries are only 50% efficient at best - meaning you only get half of what you put in. Doubling the battery might set you back from the goal.

It's all good discussion here.
    That's why i suggested using super capacitor pack add-on, it will fill up quickly and anything extra would goes to the battery. I think you can use a half size deep cycle, then the other half you use super caps.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's my understanding that an exhaust can be tuned for economy, performance, or some compromise of the two.

But that's another topic.
    You are wrong. A computer can change things like ignition timing but cannot physically remove a restriction from an exhaust.

Most exhaust systems are restricted to sound quiet. Remove that restriction and you have a louder exhaust that is more efficient and an engine that breaths better.

Saying a computer can remove an exhaust restriction is like saying a computer can change the size of a tire. Think about what you are saying.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Let's keep the discussion polite and professional. Don't make me pull this car over!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-28-2018),MetroMPG (09-28-2018),TXmirageGUY (10-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You are wrong.
    Am not. We are simply talking about different things.

A computer can change things like ignition timing but cannot physically remove a restriction from an exhaust.
    I agree.

Most exhaust systems are restricted to sound quiet. Remove that restriction and you have a louder exhaust that is more efficient and an engine that breaths better.
    I believe this illustrates the disagreement. You are focused on exhaust restriction, I am talking about exhaust tuning.

Saying a computer can remove an exhaust restriction is like saying a computer can change the size of a tire.
    I agree, you have a point.

Think about what you are saying.
    Okay...

Tuned Exhaust