Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage 1.2L (3A92)... MAP or MAF? Who got what?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for putting this info together guys. Its been added to the sticky index.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Note the European Mirage/Space Star has both the 1.0L and 1.2L engines. (m4v3r1ck has the 1.0.) There may be differences between them.
    I think that's the differences, 1.0 has MAF and 1.2 has MAP. There's no assembly factory in europe for Mitsu as far as I know so they shipped the whole car from Thailand.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    did the US version not have MAF? and they only have the 1.2 liter!

maybe its cvt or manual?

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The US has the 1.2L MAF setup for reasons that I can only guess at this time is due to differences in the egr system. All the other 1.2L so far seem to be MAP with random pictures of 1.0L MAF engines spread around on the net to throw us off.

With that said, where all was the 1.0L distributed?
    Last edited by live4redline; 11-07-2013 at 04:22 AM.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    whats the EGR difference?

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm under the impression the Map cars do not have the EGR and the MAF does. I plan to take some pictures of the system in the near future so that I can confirm it.

EGR is Exhaust Gas Return. It's an US emissions requirment that injects spent exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber as filler to reduce the amount of air entering the mix. In return, less air requires less fuel and durring cruising speeds can save fuel. Most manufacturers do not put much effort in the system and has a high mechanical failure rate and robs the motor of needed power on top of gunking up the injectors, plugs and intake manifold with filler gasses that can leave a filmy residue over time. Mitsubishi is one of the few that utilizes the system well and notes productive gains. On top of that it can also be used to reduce detonation knock on modified and turbo cars at the cost of some horse power. The system usually only activates at cruising loads and rpms.

The MAF and MAP relation to EGR is that you need to read the air entering the combustion chamber. With no egr you can read it once with a map sensor. With egr the map reads both the air and non-flammable gasses and can't tell the difference and wants to dump more fuel then it needs. So in exchange they add a maf sensor to read the air and use the map to read the egr. (MAF cars have both sensors but control fuel with the MAF and there for MAF based).
    Last edited by live4redline; 11-07-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Toyota has used MAP and EGR without MAF in the past. My 1996 Tercel was setup this way. However, this was a very rudimentary EGR system that was just on/off. It wasn't one of the electronic solenoid controlled ones we have these days.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by live4redline View Post
    I'm under the impression the Map cars do not have the EGR and the MAF does. I plan to take some pictures of the system in the near future so that I can confirm it.

EGR is Exhaust Gas Return. It's an US emissions requirment that injects spent exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber as filler to reduce the amount of air entering the mix. In return, less air requires less fuel and durring cruising speeds can save fuel. Most manufacturers do not put much effort in the system and has a high mechanical failure rate and robs the motor of needed power on top of gunking up the injectors, plugs and intake manifold with filler gasses that can leave a filmy residue over time. Mitsubishi is one of the few that utilizes the system well and notes productive gains. On top of that it can also be used to reduce detonation knock on modified and turbo cars at the cost of some horse power. The system usually only activates at cruising loads and rpms.

The MAF and MAP relation to EGR is that you need to read the air entering the combustion chamber. With no egr you can read it once with a map sensor. With egr the map reads both the air and non-flammable gasses and can't tell the difference and wants to dump more fuel then it needs. So in exchange they add a maf sensor to read the air and use the map to read the egr. (MAF cars have both sensors but control fuel with the MAF and there for MAF based).
    thats a big disappointment a EGR would mean faster cold ice warmup...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm looking at mine, it has both MAP and MAF but no EGR valve. (US 2014 1.2L 5 speed DE).

Variable cam timing takes care of EGR duties. EGR was originally intended to reduce combustion temperatures to reduce harmful emissions under certain driving conditions.

I only have GM experience and have not seen an EGR valve in a long time. I can't pinpoint the year when they did away with it.

Cheers!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-11-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Would it be possible to get some pictures of your engine bay 3dplane? Not all of us have a Mirage (yet), and would love to see what is actually all going on in there.