Thread: Mirage 1.2L (3A92)... MAP or MAF? Who got what?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Mirage 1.2L (3A92)... MAP or MAF? Who got what?

So I'm still patiently waiting to find out some of the finer details about the American Mirage release. (Still waiting for dealers to get them in stock.)

My biggest question is about the tuning format. Is the new mirage MAP (Manifold Atmospheric Pressure) or MAF (Mass Air Flow) based?

Answer:
    • Japanese Market - ???
    • European Market - 1.2L - MAP
    • European Market - 1.0L - MAF
    • Australian Market - MAP
    • Philippine Market - MAP
    • Malaysian Market - MAP
    • Puerto Rican Market - ???
    • North American Market - MAF & MAP

This picture here shows a MAP based Mirage 1.2L 3A92 engine notable by the forward facing hole in the front of the air box. I don't know what region this picture is from and would love to know if anyone's motor looks like this and where there located?
    Name:  2014_Mirage_MAP.jpg
Views: 14597
Size:  96.1 KB = MAP

In the following picture how ever the Mirage 1.2L 3A92 motor is MAF based which will prove to be sadly disappointing in early stages of modification. Note that the forward facing hole on the air box now has a multiple wire sensor that's traditional of a MAF sensor.
    Name:  2014_Mirage_MAF.jpg
Views: 15948
Size:  96.5 KB = MAF

A MAP based format will make early forced induction a breeze as the stock map sensor will allow for boost into the 7psi range with out too many issues. Higher boost levels will require a simple MAP sensor upgrade and the more challenging ECU tuning of some sort that wont be available for some time if ever. A MAF based format will be more trouble some as it requires special intakes and flanges to be made to fit the sensor out side the air box. Will require diameter testing as a change in diameters between the air box housing and the aftermarket housing will effect fuel economy and performance. Its also noted that small MAF's like what will be featured on the mirage have more trouble reading air in boosted situations and may require removal and swapping for larger more boost acceptable units from other cars. This would require ECU tuning which once again, wont be available for some time if ever. None the less a MAP based speed density format would have been ideal but I'm feeling like its not gonna happen as nearly all the other photos i find all have the MAF sensor in the air box. I would be interested in finding out who got a MAP based engine that way i could try to get my hands on a MAP based ECU so that I can do the ECU conversion or better yet do a ROM conversion to turn MAF Ecu's into MAP ones. Mitsubishi has a great habit of including MAP sensors on there MAF based cars for EGR purposes so with a ROM over write, everything's already in place to make the conversion work.

All of this will be easier once the rom is unlocked and readable but for early projects or if there issues in the ECU unlocking this little stuff can have a large impact.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by live4redline; 11-07-2013 at 04:02 AM.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-05-2013),EtotheZ (01-03-2014),MetroMPG (11-01-2013)