Thread: Tis the season

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Tis the season

When your Jack is too tall for the car, gotta stack lumber hahaha.

Name:  20181028_154414.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  46.5 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-04-2018),MetroMPG (11-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you jacking on the rear axle? Is that an approved jacking point?

I know the mid point between the front A arms is but what jack can reach that far in?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    There must be a jacking point on the chassis because his axles are down, not up.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Are you jacking on the rear axle? Is that an approved jacking point?

I know the mid point between the front A arms is but what jack can reach that far in?
    It's a solid suspension hunk of metal, and it's only lifting maybe 750lb. I dont see why not! I jack the rear by the torsion beam.

It's a short stroke on my floor jack until the car begins to rise. I have to use a shortened lever to get it started.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-31-2018)

It's probably fine unless the car is loaded but I'd avoid jacking there unless I had to. Could always jack it from the tow hook at the back.
    I just jack it up from the side if using a floor jack when rotating tires on the floor. About a foot behind the front wheel and about a foot to the inside from the rocker> the frame is strong there and you can jack the entire side of the car up. But I think my floor jack at work is pretty low profile though at 2 1/2" high. I think my crappy tire special floor jack at home is at least double that height.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's probably fine unless the car is loaded but I'd avoid jacking there unless I had to. Could always jack it from the tow hook at the back.
    I just jack it up from the side if using a floor jack when rotating tires on the floor. About a foot behind the front wheel and about a foot to the inside from the rocker> the frame is strong there and you can jack the entire side of the car up. But I think my floor jack at work is pretty low profile though at 2 1/2" high. I think my crappy tire special floor jack at home is at least double that height.
    The tow hook is what you are supposed to use when raising the rear of the car like this, according to the manual. I use lumber as well, though I put it between the jack and the ground because my jack won't lift the car off the ground when I put it under the tow hook unless I raise the jack a little.

I believe the owners' manual also specifically says NOT to put a jack under the rear axle.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yup. "Do not lift by structural solid hunk of metal"
    I'll keep doing it. Really not concerned about it. That beam isnt exactly flimsy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Yup. "Do not lift by structural solid hunk of metal"
    I'll keep doing it. Really not concerned about it. That beam isnt exactly flimsy.
    Fair enough, but it isn't exactly strong, either. I don't think it was meant to take the weight of the entire rear of the car resting on one 2" spot in the middle of the axle. With all the rear axle alignment problems these cars seem to have I wouldn't put any more strain on that beam than what it gets under normal use.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-09-2019)