Thread: TPMS Quick Reference (common problems/solutions/cloning etc.)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts

Cloning with an Autel TS408 tool

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    8. Affordable TPMS Tool Suggestion

The Autel TS408 a basic TPMS tool that can read TPMS sensor data and it can program/clone Autel sensors. This may be the least expensive tool available (about $160) that can do both of these functions.

The TS408 is not an advanced TPMS tool with an OBDII interface...so you can't use it to read TPMS trouble codes from the computer. It also can't read TPMS sensor IDs from the computer or register sensor IDs into the computer. But the functions it can do are impressive for the price.

Autel periodically updates the software for their TPMS tools, but you get FREE software upgrades for life with the TS408. That's a huge benefit worth mentioning because some TPMS tool manufacturers charge a fee for software updates.

Autel programmable sensors are about $30/each (including the valve stem). I see sets of 4 every day on eBay for $100 shipped. Remember that 1 OEM sensor from the dealer lists for about $90.
    I recently purchased the Autel TS408 ($122.09 with free shipping) from JB Tools Inc.
    I also purchased four Autel MX-Sensors ($29.95/each = $119.80 with shipping) from Amazon, because JB Tools was sold out of MX-Sensors. For whatever reason, buying individual sensors was cheaper than buying a set of 4 at the time on Amazon? Now, that I know they work, I can shop around for a better price in the future maybe?

Purchasing another pair of Mirage steel rims from Dirk recently sparked this purchase for me. By the way - I appreciate Dirk making that happen! I will now have two complete sets of wheels (summer/winter) for my 2017 Mirage. I also have two sets of wheels for my 2011 Forester. I was up to 8 wheels without working sensors. Thus, I thought I would give this a try. I only bought 4 sensors for now, but I can add to that any time now.

I am really impressed on how easy the Autel TS408 tool is to use. I love tools you can use without having to read the instruction manual! This tool is so simple to use.

I simply picked Mitsubishi Mirage (range 2014-17). Selected - scan all 4 wheels, & it took about 2 minutes to do. Just like that you have all four sensors copied on to the device. Then I programmed each of my new MX-Sensors to each wheel. It took longer for me to write down the codes on paper (for future reference). I have all 4 new sensors now programmed and ready to be installed in my second set of tires. Each sensor came in a tiny ziplock bag. I programmed it & put in a slip of paper in the bag indicating the wheel on my Mirage and the sensor code. For example, LF wheel was code # 98D7A88B. Once again it took me longer to write this on the slip paper than it took to program the new sensors. As you program one of the stored codes, it lets you know it's been copied on to a new sensors. If your spare tire had a sensor, it would store that one, too. Overall, it's pretty slick!

I like the fact that these sensors can be reprogrammed to another code in the future, too. You just need to let the air out of the tire to do so. If I should decide to mix sets of tires, I can do that. I just need to make sure that I am using the 4 TPMS codes stored in my Mirage.

If one of my factory sensors dies over time (battery life expires), I can simply replace it with a MX-Sensor by cloning that code on to it.

You can literally scan all four sensors in about 1-2 minutes. You can easily clone 4 new sensors in about 15 minutes total (scan existing 4 & clone 4 new ones). It's that simple!

When I purchased a pair of snow tires for my Mirage in December of 2017, none of the tire shops in town could clone me a pair of sensors for my Mirage. The tire shops in town used an auto parts store to clone sensors for them, but the auto parts store said a Mirage sensor couldn't be clone by their device. For a community of 5,000, it was a dead end search for me. Driving 65+ miles to Madison or 70+ miles to LaCrosse to deal with sensors isn't worth it to me.

I honestly think that I could sell this tool to my local mechanic & get my money back. Then again, he may have something by now, too?

Sidenote:

My Mirage sensors have an 8-digit code.

My Forester sensors use a 6-digit code. Both are 315 MHz.

These MX-Sensors will clone both 315MHz & 433 MHz.

Conclusion: Scanning & cloning these sensors was quite simple. I will purchase another 4 sensors for my Forester's winter tires. Some time this summer, I am going to have my local mechanic install new tires on the steel rims I bought from Dirk, install cloned sensors on all 8 wheels (Mirage & Forester), & rebalance them for me.

Whenever I change tires in the future, I should be set as far as the TPMS should go. The car's TPMS will recognize the cloned tires, and all should be good!
    Last edited by Mark; 05-10-2020 at 09:01 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-10-2020),Fummins (05-11-2020),inuvik (05-10-2020),jtr990 (12-03-2020),Top_Fuel (05-11-2020)