Thread: Swiss hypermiler. Mirage is most economic non hybrid gasoline vehicle I have tested

Country
    Switzerland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Swiss hypermiler. Mirage is most economic non hybrid gasoline vehicle I have tested

On behalf of Mitsubishi Switzerland I hypermiled the 5-speed stickshift Mirage (1.2 litre gasoline engine / 'Space Star' in Europe) thru Switzerland and Austria (via 5900 ft Arlbergpass) to Salzburg and back in spring 2013. Covering 1112 kilometers (> 691 miles) with less than one tank resulted in 69.6 mpg (USG!) or 3.38 litres/100 kms (that Space Star is rated 57.4 mpg based on the NEDC). It's the most economic non hybrid gasoline vehicle I tested so far. The car does better mileage on rural roads in the 35 to 45 mph speed range than it does on the tollway at a constant 55 mph...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savefuel For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (11-29-2013),MetroMPG (11-29-2013)

Welcome, savefuel.

I hope you don't mind I moved your post to a dedicated thread where more people will see it.

Are you by any chance this person?
    Thread: Swiss long-distance record for Space Star 1.2: 3,38 l/100 km! (69.6 mpg US)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

swiss hypermiler

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, savefuel.

I hope you don't mind I moved your post to a dedicated thread where more people will see it.

Are you by any chance this person?
    Thread: Swiss long-distance record for Space Star 1.2: 3,38 l/100 km! (69.6 mpg US)
    Yes, that's me!
    Thanks for moving my post.

Brgds

Felix

Congratulations on your driving!

I have found that some pilots I know have an interest in operating different vehicles efficiently -- especially pilots with glider experience! (Lots of them like to sail boats as well -- another efficient vehicle choice.)

Now I'm curious to know what your personal vehicle is.

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    Nomen est omen..., I drive a 99' GOLF TDI convertible (my last name is EGOLF...).
    The VW 81 kWh direct injected 1.9 litre diesel engine was probably the most economic engine of that time. It's not a 'clean' diesel but delivers really good mileage and allows application of hypermiler tricks such as EOC (engine off coasting). My mileage varies with the season with a average of 70 or some 3.4 litres/100 kilometers.
    Mitsubishi has a excellent 1.8 litre diesel in the ASX (Outlander Sport) which can be run with less than 4 litres / 100 kms, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site Felix. Your numbers fuel economy is impressive. Do you have any interest in purchasing a Mirage / Space Star?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    I drive a variety of vehicles in order to check out if the very impressive NEDC figures can be matched on the road over a full tank of gas. The Space Star was one of them. It's a great car in the sub-compact category but I'd probably shop in the compact convertible diesel category. I owned my previous vehicle (a GTI fuel injected VW convertible) for 25 years so I really opt for longtime ownership... My next car purchase will therefore happen well past 2020... So I'd like a compact diesel hybrid convertible with a small 6 kWh high energy battery...