Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short throw shifter for Mitsubishi Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Short throw shifter for Mitsubishi Mirage?

Does anyone know if there are any short throw shifters for the Mirage? My transmission still feels knotch-y when shifting and l wanted to know if having a short throw shifter would eliminate the notchy-ness...lt's more like it hesitates to shift...l shift from 1st to 2nd and it feels like l'm grinding the tranny, but l'm not?....my tranny is still not broken in yet but does anyone think lt's a problem? l discussed this once before but maybe someone knows what's happening? Do l need to shift slower from 1st to 2nd or faster? all the other gears are good except 2nd...maybe lt's me?

Someone on this forum managed to make a short shifter work from a lancer I believe. It shouldn't be too hard to find the thread. What year is your car? You can adjust the cable if you need to. I haven't touched a 5 speed mirage so someone else will be more helpful with how they feel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-02-2020)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    That notchy shifting will improve as the transmission breaks in. I wouldn't be too eager to hasten that process. Other 5-speed owners have reported improved shifts with Redline synthetic. But again, consider letting your transmission break in some before making changes that would put warranty coverage in jeapordy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any short throw shifters for the Mirage? My transmission still feels knotch-y when shifting and l wanted to know if having a short throw shifter would eliminate the notchy-ness...lt's more like it hesitates to shift...l shift from 1st to 2nd and it feels like l'm grinding the tranny, but l'm not?....my tranny is still not broken in yet but does anyone think lt's a problem? l discussed this once before but maybe someone knows what's happening? Do l need to shift slower from 1st to 2nd or faster? all the other gears are good except 2nd...maybe lt's me?
    I support what Eggman has already shared. I would hesitate to do anything that may hinder a warranty claim, especially if you are sensing a potential issue.

It would nice if you could find a different Mirage manual to try. Pretend to be in the market for a used one & compare?

If I lived near you, I would offer mine to drive for a bit. I would also try driving your Mirage. Maybe a dealer would provide that comparison for you?

It really wouldn't hurt to check you transmission fluid level, too. Eggman has probably provided the slickest way to do that, & he may be able to share that again or find it on the forum. He just used a piece of bent wire to check the fill hole. There was someone questioning the level of the manual fluid from the factory quite some time ago.

I changed my fluid to Redline MTL at 30,000 miles, but I can't say that I've really noticed a difference in shifting. I don't remember my transmission being clunky when new, but it may have been. We tend to overlook gradual changes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Having made and tried a short shifter on a Mirage, I can tell you that it only makes it more notchy.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That notchy shifting will improve as the transmission breaks in. I wouldn't be too eager to hasten that process. Other 5-speed owners have reported improved shifts with Redline synthetic. But again, consider letting your transmission break in some before making changes that would put warranty coverage in jeapordy.
    l will keep driving it and if something comes up, l will take it to the dealer...thanks guys for all your input. Re-learning stick shift has proven difficult at times, but with more practice, l will get better lt's nice to know l can ask questions without getting berated or pummeled....thanks again guys for all you do, have a great day and l will talk with you all soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm the one who has taken a lancer/Evo short throw and implemented it, a heavier shift knob on the stock shifter felt pretty good. My new shifter is definitely more notchy when hard shifting but it evened out as I adjusted to it over time. I'd recommend a heavier shift knob first, here's the one I bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077ND9B9N..._VJnREbT327FHC
    As for technique, I'd shift slower and try to figure out where the engagement point is on the clutch, going easy on the clutch also helps. Try to work on your timing of the clutch and the gas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AssassinTime14 For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (05-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As someone noted, a short shifter will just make your shifts MORE notchy. Less leverage, more shifting effort.

Try fitting a heavier shift knob. That will put a little more momentum behind your shift and can make the shifts smoother.
    Simplify and add lightness.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Try fitting a heavier shift knob.
    Here are a couple of related links...

Weighted Shift Knobs! Why should you get one

Ralliart Shift Knob

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-02-2020 at 02:00 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)