Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US: 2014 Mirage IIHS crash test results (videos, pictures)

US: 2014 Mirage IIHS crash test results (videos, pictures)

Name:  crash-iihs.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  59.2 KB

The US Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has crash tested the 2014 Mirage.

Mirage was awarded the highest available "Good" rating in 4 out of 5 tests, with the exception being the "small overlap front" crash, where it rated "Poor":

Small overlap front Poor
    Moderate overlap front Good
    Side Good
    Roof strength Good
    Head restraints & seats Good

No small car scored a "Good" result in the small overlap crash test. Only the Chevrolet Spark scored an "Acceptable" rating in the test, and as a result Spark was named "Best Safety Pick" for the "mini car" class. Mirage placed exactly in the middle of the 11 small cars tested in that test.

Details of small car small overlap crash ratings: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...tal-protection

Link to the detailed analysis & lots of pics of the 2014 Mirage crash results:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...age?print-view

Notable: IIHS tested the previous generation of the Mirage from 1997-2001 (only the moderate offset crash), and it scored "Poor" each time.

=====

See also:

-Thread: Video & details: Mirage crash test - top 5-star rating by ANCAP

-Thread: Mirage / Space Star: 4/5 stars on EURO NCAP - crash test result/video

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mikhail (01-22-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm pretty happy with the results. The Mirage has scored wonderfully all over the rest of the world with its safety tests. One poor rating is not going to make or break it. I'd say overall its still a very safe car.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've never liked these IIHS tests- they seem very biased against small cars. Not only that, but it adds paranoia and fear among car buyers that they MUST buy a larger car in order to survive.

In this video from the IIHS summarizing the results from the test, the commentator states: "small, lightweight vehicles have an inherit safety disadvantage in a crash. Moving up to a larger hybrid model can provide good fuel economy and offer a significant safety boost." It's easy to see where the IIHS stands and how they are trying to persuade (or scare) buyers into larger cars

Personally, I've always had small cars and have always known that I have the odds against me in a crash with a larger car. But I feel that the safest car out there is one that can avoid an accident and is maneuverable; which a small car excels at. Also a good, defensive driver who is not distracted helps out too. I've never liked larger cars and am not willing to give up that lifestyle choice just based on "what could happen"

I have never understood why the IIHS is so persistent about manufacturers spending more and more money on safer vehicles, when it should also be put into driver training

5. The Following User Says Thank You to festiboi For This Useful Post:

Minihaha (05-29-2014)

Where does their bias come from? I suspect it's from crash injury/fatality statistics.

The new "small overlap" test was introduced in the U.S. in 2012, so cars designed before this will likely not do as well as cars designed after.

Keep in mind that the Mirage was designed prior to 2012.

"small, lightweight vehicles have an inherit safety disadvantage in a crash. Moving up to a larger hybrid model can provide good fuel economy and offer a significant safety boost."
    Yeah - this is a misleading statement.

In a crash against a fixed object or another small car, there's no INHERENT disadvantage to being in a small car. Less energy to dissipate/transfer to occupants.

The disadvantage comes when you crash a large + small car together.

Still doesn't matter to me: I don't buy cars based on safety ratings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    HAHAHAHA the third video down, shows a blue mirage. It just looks so happy, even though its about to get nailed lol. A guy at worked kept talking about how awesome the Spark was for being rated best of the mini cars. It got very annoying lol. Regardless, im very happy with how the mirage did in the test given its size and weight!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Still doesn't matter to me: I don't buy cars based on safety ratings.
    Same here; you can't prepare for everything and we may as well purchase what we want. Even the safest of cars are not going to stand up to a semi-truck, so why live in fear over these things and let them control over our decisions?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looking at the Mirage crash again, personally it doesn't seem to do badly at all. The body structure around the passenger cabin remains intact and it looks like the front of the car absorbs most of the energy. Even after such a nasty crash, the doors will still open and the car is still recognizable as a Mirage
    Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  32.3 KB

Compare that to the low scoring Fiat 500, and you can see where the A-pillar buckled and energy was dispersed throughout the car. Apparently, the door hinges were ripped off as well. In comparison, the Mirage took it like a champ
    Name:  140122080100-iihs-minicar-crash-test-fiat-500-620xa.jpg
Views: 3432
Size:  68.0 KB

Regardless, like what MetroMPG stated, none of these results influence my decision at all. These cars are all safer than from 10-15 years ago and somehow we managed to survive back then

You compared pics of the "Good" medium offset crash (Mitsu) vs. the "Poor" small offset crash (Fiat).

Here's the "Poor" Mitsu small offset crash:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

mohammad (02-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh poo bum! You're a buzz kill Darin!

Thank you for the correction. That small offset on the Mirage...looks...er....painful. Still doesn't influence me though

Sorry!

Doesn't change my mind either.

The small overlap crash is an extremely demanding test, and it's important to note it's not a government test, just the IIHS's.

Plenty of other cars have scored "Poor" on it, including some best-selling and "premium" models:

- 2012 Mercedes-Benz C-Class
    - 2012 Audi A4
    - 2012 Lexus IS 250/350 and ES 350
    - Toyota Camry
    - Toyota Prius V
    - Toyota Rav4
    - Nissan's Rogue
    - Jeep Patriot
    - Nissan Sentra
    - Kia Soul
    - Kia Forte

The list goes on and on.