Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT Mirage owner from Austalia ... not getting rated fuel economy

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    for oz the fuel consumtion rating is 4.6l combined test,5.5l urban and 4.1 extra urban.so it should of been on avg 4.1-4.6,it never went under 5.5l..and the avg klms to tank was reading 550klms...she should've got above 600klms for sure but didnt.i spoken to clark from forum yesterday.from day one of owning his car and its the same car he has pumped out 580-600+klms per tank..and i know not every car is the same..

You could compare your Mirage against another one, same spec, driving the same route at the same time (careful that the one in the rear leaves enough space so as not to draft!).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If you look at the site's fuel log, you'll see that everyone around the world is getting about the same mileage as your Mirage. The average of all the Mirages is 5.6 l/100km, so you're spot on.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/emgarage.php

Just because your car is rated to get some mileage doesn't mean you'll get it. US EPA ratings are pretty accurate. European ratings are pretty optimistic and nobody achieves them. Japanese ratings are even more outrageously optimistic. Apparently Australian ratings are also optimistic.

Have you calculated your actual fuel mileage (miles driven divided by gas pumped into the car), or are you just using the display on the car to judge?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellykids View Post
    for oz the fuel consumtion rating is 4.6l combined test,5.5l urban and 4.1 extra urban.so it should of been on avg 4.1-4.6,it never went under 5.5l..and the avg klms to tank was reading 550klms...she should've got above 600klms for sure but didnt.i spoken to clark from forum yesterday.from day one of owning his car and its the same car he has pumped out 580-600+klms per tank..and i know not every car is the same..
    I agree with u, the advertised mpg is obviously only achievable under ideal conditions.

So I think your beef should be with Mitsubishi Au for false advertising.

In NZ we have the same 4.6l/100 km combined figure in their ad material. And the best I can get using lots of eco techniques is 4.8 open red and 5.5 city (CVT) And that is with the eco light on the dash always lit, and an open rd speed of just 90 kph and just the driver in car, with tires at 46 psi.

At least I knew not to take stated mpg figures so literally. It does seem deceptive advertising tho. And u prob have a case with the adversting complaints people. Using this forums mpg logs as evidence.

your beef should be with Mitsubishi Au for false advertising.
    Remember: it's not the car makers who are responsible for the testing methods which produce "unrealistic" ratings. The test protocol is laid out by regulation.

The automakers test their vehicles based on the protocol, and those are the figures they report and use in advertising. The regulator sometimes double-checks the automakers' results.

Canada's fuel economy regulator has just updated its testing methods for the 2015 model year to bring the ratings more in line with "real world" instead of "ideal" results.

As a result, ratings for the CVT Mirage in Canada have gone from:

Old ratings:

City: 5.3 L/100 km (53 mpg (Imp) .... 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L)
    Hwy: 4.4 L/100 km (64 mpg (Imp) ... 53.5 mpg (US) ... 22.7 km/L)

... to ...

Updated ratings:

City: 6.4 L/100 km (44 mpg (Imp) .... 37 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L)
    Hwy: 5.4 L/100 km (52 mpg (Imp) ... 44 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L)

Which tells me you're pretty decent at eco-driving, bearhugman.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Thanks metroMPG. I was thinking I wasn't doing that great. Cause I wasn't getting the advertised mpg.

But you are right about the mpg testing régime.... You're very wise!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if the manufacturer's advertised mpg is based on 100% gasoline, or on gasohol/E10. Probably the former, which not too many people have access to.

The U.S. EPA tests use a non-ethanol, non-retail gasoline.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    there was a chanel 7 investigation into the way we test fuel economy here in australia,they show that the realistic test was out by 1-2litres/per 100klms on two model cars.my fb not working atm but when it does i will put the link up...
    the test was done on the road(city and urban) radio,air con etc on and off,so they are now looking into the way they get the fuel rating out of a car...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wellykids For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-10-2014)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/video/...for-motorists/