Thread: Had a starter fail

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Had a starter fail(brush part number inside)

The other day I had to go get a car that wouldn't start crank over. I tried boosting it first, I've got pretty decent cables and new batteries in my truck but the starter just clicked. Tried hitting the starter with a tire iron, still no crank. I towed it back to the shop tested the battery and it was weak, 300cca. So the car got one new battery and one used starter. I've got a feeling the starter was damaged by a combination of the weak battery and the driver not knowing when to quit trying. I bench tested the starter and it's so cooked the solenoid wouldn't even click.
    I didn't even try calling the dealer about warranty as we wanted the car back on the road the same day not later this month. At least they are insanely simple and fast to replace. The old one was soaked in oil though from the oil running down the filter trough and onto the starter every oil change. Though this is the first starter I've personally seen fail on these cars.

I'll just put this here to save time next time I need to look for part numbers. I've been hanging on to the box the brush/holder I bought came in so I'd have the part number handy. It says SMT1321 on the box.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post74339
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-03-2020 at 06:52 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

anog (02-16-2018),Cobrajet (02-17-2018),Daox (07-12-2018),fc321 (07-26-2018),gone.a (02-25-2018),inuvik (02-16-2018),Top_Fuel (02-16-2018)