Thread: Be gentle if you replace lug studs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Be gentle if you replace lug studs

Be gentle if you replace the lug studs.

I snapped my lug studs because some garage decided to tighten them to a million ft lbs or whatever. Was in a rush so I hammered in new ones after beating the hell out of my stuck on rotors to remove them, and managed to screw one up which I angle ground off and replaced again.

Ended up damaging the rear face of the hub, which caused the lug stud to not sit flush, which quickly ruined the bearing. I knew it was damaging it due to the hellish noise but I had to make it back home, a 6 hour drive away.

Can't do the work myself to fix all that due to my current situation, so I am having a mechanic do it. Total damage: $725 (Most of which is the price for the hub, bearing, replacement lug studs again and replacement rotor, Canadian parts are stupid expensive).

Moral of the story: Take it slow and easy if you decide to do this job. It's not complicated, but if you're in a rush, you can break anything!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shepd For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-28-2018),Cobrajet (11-27-2018),craigq (11-27-2018),Daox (11-27-2018),Fummins (11-27-2018),inuvik (11-27-2018),Loren (11-27-2018),Marklovski (11-27-2018)